• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Engine won’t shut off: Part II

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The switch may be the same, the wiring is different spartan versus freightliner. Clearly on my drawing, shows the stop fuel solenoid, the spartan one a tad bit different. Believe it's either as you said, the switch or the relay. Try to get them to send them both, replace switch first, see if that fixes it, then the relay if not. Keep us posted.

The switch may be the same, the wiring is different spartan versus freightliner. Clearly on my drawing, shows the stop fuel solenoid, the spartan one a tad bit different. Believe it's either as you said, the switch or the relay. Try to get them to send them both, replace switch first, see if that fixes it, then the relay if not. Keep us posted.
I haven’t even been able to get Spartan to call the techs back on a timely basis much less send me anything. I’m on my own here for buying whatever I need to fix the problem. Shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

TJ

TJ, instead of (assumed) dealing directly with spartan, can you call a spartan dealer. All you want is a switch and relay. I would order both, with understanding one my be returned, (yes pay the restocking fee), or keep it for spare. Now I realize the main customer service is dealing with not only you, but everyone who is having issues, or needing information. You also might get on Newgle and see if a replacement switch is in that parts area/catalog, or even call Newmar parts and see if they have one. Once spare in hand, either fix it yourselves, or have that RV place you are using replace it, keep all paperwork, then you might ask spartan or Newmar to reimburse you because a switch and/or the relay should not have failed within 3 years. I would be nice about it using all the honey I could. And I'm not known for my honey, especially when faced with an issue clearly well outside the normal breakdown arena. I am sure one spartan dealership would have one, and it seems waiting on customer service has not faired well. I have attached the Washington state spartan dealers (text file below) to assist in this. If other states needed let me know. The link is to the national service lookup.

Also, I have not tried to extend or retract my slides with engine running, all my slides are electric, you have mountain Aire, some of those I am assuming are hydraulic, and as such will operate differently. I don't remember if my old coach with all hydraulic slides would go out with engine running or not, just never tried it. Even then, genset or shore power was watchword.

Attachments

• Sparten washington.txt
    184 bytes · Views: 6
Can you ask Spartan or Cummins if they will courtesy/warranty replace the ignition switch and see how things go from there?

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. The local shop here will do a couple of final checks today based on what the Spartan tech (who finally called back yesterday afternoon) suggested and then we’ll head back to the sticks ‘n bricks in Washington tomorrow.

Once we get home, we’ll find a way to get a replacement ignition switch and relay installed. I don’t hold out much hope for Spartan to provide a “courtesy” anything, so will expect to pay for the parts myself. If they surprise me, that will be a bonus.

TJ

UPDATE: just got an e-mail from Spartan regarding a replacement ignition switch. They have them in stock and they are $31.37. I will order one later this morning and will ask about a replacement relay as well. We’ll throw parts at this thing until it decideds to behave itself.

TJ

The problem with intermittent problems and replacing parts is twofold. You replace the ignition switch and it will shut the engine down 50 times but on the 51st it doesn't. You then replace the relay or fuel shutoff and hope you don't repeat the 50, 51st scenario. That's why FTL kept telling me unless they can duplicate the problem they can't fix it.

The problem with intermittent problems and replacing parts is twofold. You replace the ignition switch and it will shut the engine down 50 times but on the 51st it doesn't. You then replace the relay or fuel shutoff and hope you don't repeat the 50, 51st scenario. That's why FTL kept telling me unless they can duplicate the problem they can't fix it.
Sell it by 45th time and all is good

The problem being you never know if its going to be the 3rd time or the 50th or the....

Latest resources

Back