• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Engine won’t shut off: Part II

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
UPDATE: just got an e-mail from Spartan regarding a replacement ignition switch. They have them in stock and they are $31.37. I will order one later this morning and will ask about a replacement relay as well. We’ll throw parts at this thing until it decideds to behave itself.

TJ
TJ, several years ago I had a twin diesel inboard boat. It had different diesels than what your Cummins is, but I had an issue with one engine not shutting down. It turned out to be a bad switch that killed the fuel feed to that motor. On those older diesels you not only turned the key off but held a kill switch in to stop the fuel. So I guess what I'm saying is even modern diesels will stop once the fuel is shut off.

I can recall having a "check engine" light come on several times with my 2017 4369. I had it looked at by two different FL/Cummins service centers and one said it was some type of sensor for the DEF being too hot and the other said the code was simply a ghost code and no big deal. When I landed back in Florida with it on again I went to North Trail and they plugged up the computer and immediately said I needed a new DEF tower. Problem solved by an RV dealer......go figure.

Hey TJ,

Just had a thought... do you have KEYLESS START? I heard a mechanic at Cummins ranting about how problematic those are, and how the mechanics hate them because they are too hard to do "key on/ACC/off" diagnostics.

I'm curious if there's a malfunctioning relay in the KEYLESS system!? Not sure if it's a KIB module, or what, but certainly another possible culprit for you to check.

Steve

We just dropped the coach off at Premier RV Services. I handed the keys to the shop foreman and said “it is sitting outside...running.” He laughed and said “So, we finally got it into fault mode where the can check for voltages at diagnostic points.”

Hopefully, they will find the problem.

TJ

That is great news, TJ and I'm hoping they can find the cause. I'm not sure but I believe I'm the only poster that's had the same problem as you and I can certainly empathize with you. Until you've walked in my mocassins you don't really understand.

Just got back from talking to the shop foreman. They believe it is a faulty ignition switch since the engine PDM seems to check out OK. Hopefully, they are right! They subsequently started and stopped the engine “15-20 times” and it shut down properly each time. It seems like after the engine runs for a while, the problem goes away…until it doesn’t; usually on the next cold start.

They are trying to find a replacement switch locally, but that looks like a slim possibility. If one is not available, we’ll drive the coach home and order the switch from Spartan. I think it is something I can change out myself.

UPDATE: no ignition switch available locally, so we’ll head home in the morning and hope we don’t have any more issues. I’ll order one this afternoon from Spartan. I’ll probably try to replace it myself if I can get this ol’ body to bend into the pretzel shape needed to access the switch. :D

They did verify that the emergency shutoff procedure is to use the chassis battery disconnect switches.

So, we’ll head to the sticks n’ bricks in the morning and look forward to getting the AC and ignition switch replaced. When both of those issues have been resolved, we will be back to ground zero.

TJ

Last edited:
We just dropped the coach off at Premier RV Services. I handed the keys to the shop foreman and said “it is sitting outside...running.” He laughed and said “So, we finally got it into fault mode where the can check for voltages at diagnostic points.”

Hopefully, they will find the problem.

TJ
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

I don't want to throw water on the situation but with this kind of problem, how will you know it's really fixed?

Well at least it's been identified. And the price is not as bad as I thought it would be. Just remember keep coach power off/chassis power off while changing switch. Ask Lady Di to run the flashlight for you, etc. and keep giving you water. Used to live in Vancouver, and brother, you guys just had the heat. Take care.

Latest resources

Back