• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Etiquette at Truck Stop Diesel Pumps

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
As long as they clearly mark the overhang height (if there is one), or I see a lot of trucks fueling, and as you said on the OpenRoads app.
Agree, Sheridan. And, if it's NOT a dedicated Truck Stop, I instantly get nervous...especially with our Newell. This goes back to my post about "pre-planning" with something like the Garmin Birds-eye (satellite) view...which is done automatically for every stop.

Beyond height issues, I have to worry about angle of departure & approach. Some of these fuel stops have driveways/ramps that we would clear without wiping a swath of steel behind.

Another BIG issue for us, is WIDTH of the fuel bay! Since we have bi-fold fuel doors, I need to have enough clearance not only to open them, but to squeeze between the pump and rig! This is usually a recipe for throwing my back into spasms as I hunch over. We have dual tanks, which makes for fast 2-sided fueling, but my practice now is to scoot over to the right and only use the left tank so I can at least have enough room.

Ahhhhh, it's nice to be huge...right? ;) :rolleyes:

So, mystery solved. Somehow...from years ago...my account is the type for "casual gasoline purchases" (their words, not mine).

They state I need a new "physical card from any of our locations and then register it". (Guess the old card is a personal number :rolleyes:). They're removing my info off of this account so that it can be "re-used" for the new card/account.

Once you have the PHYSICAL CARD, you can set up the PROFESSIONAL level of account online.

In the app, you will log in with the "COMMERCIAL" button, not "Casual".

Not real intuitive since they've changed their system... but I. WILL. WIN! ... I refuse defeat in the digital domain!

Hope this helps any of you with the same issue!

There’s nothing better than being able to get the pump ready right from your drivers seat. No I just need to get the TA petro app accepting my card and I’ll be good to go with two places to fuel.

Happy to see you got to the bottom of why the option for a fuel card was not appearing in the Love’s app!

It is convenient (and going back to the original topic of truck stop etiquette it is faster) to pull up to a pump and be able to hop out and just start pumping. Usually, in a busy truck stop with lines, I am the impatient one waiting for the commercial trucks to get out of the way. It is very rare that we pull forward and run inside. But we do have an advantage of having an on board restroom facility which is faster than the trucker running inside the store.

Recently we have been using Love’s more vs TA, if they are within a few cents a gallon. Historically Love’s could be $0.20 or more than TA. Now with the closer pricing and Love’s overall tendency to keep pump areas cleaner and also have better maintained driveways with easy entrance and exits, they have been getting more of our business.

Truckers are people too - treat them with respect and kindness and they will tend to reciprocate. Usually have to act busy so they don’t slow me down by stopping to ask questions about our rig and the RV lifestyle.

Latest resources

Back