Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Having not used Truck Stop diesel pumps in the past I have been looking for tips on using Truck Stop Diesel pumps. Trying very hard not to look like a Noob and piss people off.
Here is an entertaining video that provides some basics at the Truck Stop pump.

Don’t stress too much about it. Just be friendly and ready to learn.
There are times I have to practice patience with some of the rare truckers who have no respect for anyone.

One thing that is clear is that prices are higher at the big name truck stops - Pilot, T/A, Loves etc. Smaller truck stops like Maverick and Sinclair and the independents are usually .40 - .75 cheaper. I used to feel like the big outfits were gouging, but they offer more services, have more amenities, bigger fuel islands, and thus have more overhead. So I’ve decided that if I don’t need those services and can find a simple fuel station cheaper that is easy enough to get in and out of I’ll do that.

I also don’t use pump DEF, which is helpful because the location of the DEF tank fill is no where near the fuel fill, so filling up on DEF when fueling would require repositioning to coach, and would be more time consuming, which in some cases would probably not go over well in a crowded truck stop with people trying to make a living in line for fuel. Also with box DEF you can add it at your leisure, you have a better idea of the condition of the product, and at around 300 miles to the gallon, there is really no reason to be in need of DEF while you are fueling. Getting in and out quickly and efficiently, especially in a busy truck stop, will go a long way to preventing animosity.

Last edited:
@Joe Hogan The first to do if you haven’t already is get a commercial fuel card at Open Roads. They discount at the pump significantly at participating stores like loves ta petro etc. the savings are significant. Part of the reason I say this you don’t have to go inside to pay. The pumps only take fuel cards. There are many opinions about def and buying at the pump vs box. I’ll leave that up to you. Many people use the open roads program.

The pumps can difficult to navigate but you are buying “tractor” fuel and not reefer fuel. You have the option to buy def as well. Put in your fuel card enter your pin and a few other prompts like cash back ( a feature I suggest have turned off) printed receipt etc.

My experience is only at the truck stops like Loves TA. You pull in hopefully to an empty island. Here’s a tip. Buy disposable shoe covers. Put them on before stepping outside. Get some fueling gloves or good latex gloves. Get your fuel and def if you choose. When you are done and there are trucks waiting. Pull your coach up to the white line so a waiting truck can start fueling. The truck drivers will extend you the same courtesy. Once you are back near the coach throw away gloves and shoe covers. Off you go.

My only words of wisdom is only go the named truck stops because I know I can fit under the overhang and there’s always a reasonable exit. If you go to smaller locations be sure to see the height of the overhang. If they don’t label it on the overhang I’d probably not go there. That’s just me. I probably went overboard but I remember the first time getting fuel and not being able to get fuel at a truck stop in Oregon and looking like an idiot the entire time. I am sure the drivers were well entertained. You will figure your own favorites especially getting fuel.

Don't worry and don't rush. Truckers are very nice, early on I asked for assistance figuring out the pump and mainly the DEF. Sometimes it's a maze to figure out how to get out and be sure to look carefully for signs that take you to the truck entrance, when they have them as sometimes the auto entrance is different from the truck entrance. I prefer the bigger places like T/A, Love's, etc. for maneuvering your big rig. As to the higher prices, yes, I believe it's due to highway taxes vs. in city pumps.

The typical flow at the pump display is swipe your card (preferably TSD) and then it may ask for some club number such as for perks, hit skip. Then it should ask for tractor reefer etc. and as @sheridany stated you want tractor (diesel). The next screen should be for DEF and it's typically on the lower left, select that if you also want DEF otherwise skip. You may get asked if you want money back (as the TSD is really a debit card) and hit skip. Eventually you'll be asked for a control number (if using TSD) which is the last four of your SSN. Then you'll hopefully get to the authorizing and lift handle and pump. When done pull forward as needed for DEF, if getting DEF, and lift that contraption and add DEF. Again, please take your time, no one is there to rush you and they are all willing to help if you ask. Some may even ask about your rig as even with them being on the road to some it's also their dream to do the RV thing.

Above is all correct.

Don’t stress about it too much, all of the ones we have used everyone has been nice.

Some of our stops the truckers have stuck up conversations asking about the rig etc.

Even had one tell the wife about carrying a little bottle of dawn so she could put it in the windshield cleaner. Takes the bugs off better than just the cleaning stuff in the bucket.

Another for the TSD card. Saved us a couple hundred $ so far.

We also have the Mudflap app and used it near the mothership since no TSD stations were close. Saved us some money as well.

Sheridany and Neal gave great input.
Other confusing option you will see on the screen (IIRC at TA) is “Other products”.
If you take this option your transaction is not immediately closed out but remains open so you can go inside (after you pull up to the line like Sheridany mentioned) and take other items to the cashier to add to your transaction.

If you use TA and/or Love’s I would also recommend using their specific apps (along with the Open Roads/TSD fleet discount card).
The apps simplify the transactions IMO.

If you want to use smaller truck stops or have another discount card I would also recommend the MudFlap app. Like others said, just need to check ingress/egress and canopy heights more carefully. Downside to mudflap, in most locations, is you have to go inside. I have seen an exception at a Maverick station somewhere out west, where I could use the Mudflap discount at the pump.

This may or may not effect you, but when using the big diesel nozzles, if I let the pump run until the nozzle clicks off when full, it overflows about a quart of fuel down the side of my rig as the nozzle clicks off. Not a big deal but its a mess and should be cleaned off immediately. To prevent this I listen closely as its getting close to full and when I hear the fuel starting up the fill pipe, I stop filling.

No different than using a gas pump for your car. Swipe your card, answer a few prompts, enter your PIN, pump. If you want to go inside to purchase something, clear the pump lane by moving forward.

The difference between tractor and reefer diesel is accounting! The bean counters need to allocate the expense to different categories for taxes.

Last edited:
No different than using a gas pump for your car. Swipe your card, answer a few prompts, enter your PIN, pump. If you want to go inside to purchase something, clear the pump lane by moving forward.

The difference between tractor and reefer diesel is accounting! The bean counters need to allocate the expense to different categories.
It is for accounting but for tax purposes, tractor fuel being subject to road taxes, refer fuel being like ag fuel or any other fuel not used for on-road purposes. Rather than have two products, one dyed red, the other not, they just have the end user identify the purpose of the fuel.

Where I get fuel at home, I have a different card for “off road” diesel (for equipment) and it generates a different receipt that allows for a tax refund at the end of the year (form 4136). The price at the pump is the same and the product is the same.

Latest resources

Back