Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Front brake caliper broken bolt (Freightliner XCR)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

J&JD

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40’
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
Pulled the coach into the backyard after a 6 week trip yesterday and found a bolt head on the ground.
859CCA7D-6C3D-4794-92AA-89B80E1C6674.jpeg
54B9B084-DD36-4092-BC6F-B47ABE58DF9B.jpeg
54B9B084-DD36-4092-BC6F-B47ABE58DF9B.jpeg
Wonder if Freightliner will warranty this problem?

At least it didn’t happen on the road! I would hope they would. Shearing a caliper bolt to me means something is majorly wrong somewhere. That just shouldn’t happen.

At least it didn’t happen on the road! I would hope they would. Shearing a caliper bolt to me means something is majorly wrong somewhere. That just shouldn’t happen.
Actually, the bolt head was discovered just before backing into the yard which means it was there when we left 3000 miles ago. What it looks like to me is that the bolt was over torqued or was perhaps was defective. The other 5 in the caliper seem fine. I’m going to go to Freightliner in Sacramento and see what they say. I need to have the coach serviced regardless.

Actually, the bolt head was discovered just before backing into the yard which means it was there when we left 3000 miles ago. What it looks like to me is that the bolt was over torqued or was perhaps was defective. The other 5 in the caliper seem fine. I’m going to go to Freightliner in Sacramento and see what they say. I need to have the coach serviced regardless.
Yikes! Glad it didn’t result in any issues. Good engineering that the remaining bolts could handle the additional stresses

I would check for a recall by FL.. Daimler Trucks North America is recalling certain 2018 Freightliner, Western Star and Freightliner Custom Chassis vehicles for an issue with improperly torqued brake caliper mounting bolts. I couldn't find the recall # but found this information.

Sounds like it's a spare then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brakes? We ain’t got no brakes! We don’t need no brakes. We don’t got no stinkin’ brakes! :rolleyes:
With apologies to “Gold Hat” in “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.”

TJ

Latest resources

Back