• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Garmin RV 890 Review and how I include WAZE

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I almost had an excuse to get a new GPS. My RV760 wouldn't' connect for Map Updates. I called tech support, and came to the conclusion I should reboot the device. That meant loosing 31 pages of waypoints. I was pretty upset. Well...eventually, I did. And now...I'm back to re-entering waypoint wherever we go, instead of pulling up ones from the database. I'll learn to BACKUP one of these days.

I'm excited to learn more about the new series...sounds like a lot of great advantages.

As to WAZE... We headed down to Unicoi from Asheville a couple of years back. Road closure and delays prompted me to turn to my iPad mini for a WAZE route. You know you're in trouble when the roads have names like "widow maker", or "snake", or something. It would have been a good test for your Active Air. The entire route was a series of "S-turns"... with no shoulder and a drop-off on one side and a hillside on the other.

I'm happy to report the Garmin RV 890 has been working great, no issues at all and they are continually updating it which is great. I could not recommend this unit higher, outstanding device for RV navigation with many great features and smartphone integration for notifications if you choose and live traffic is one of the biggest benefits of connecting your smartphone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DMTQFT/?tag=rvf01-20

Garmin has always been at the forefront of GPS technology, and I would love to have a Garmin for my RV too. If you're wondering between the Garmi 890 and 1090 like I am, this is for you: The Garmi 890 has a smaller screen size (7.87 4.82 0.79 inches) and is lighter. That's why it's about $200 more affordable. But for the Garmi 1090, you will experience an impressive 10-inch 1280800 pixel IPS display. It includes a custom RV routing system that considers the weight and dimensions of the motorhome to analyze and recommend the best possible RV route. In short, choosing between the Garmin RV 890 and RV 1090 depends on whether you prefer a smaller device or a GPS navigation device with a larger screen.
My 770 lets me add that I drive an RV + L,W,H and it takes those specs into routing consideration. The screen size and dash cam are on the newer models like the 1090. Too big for me, I like the size of the 770 (I was really ok with the size of my NUVI). Something that big would likely make my coach lean when I attach it to the side window. :ROFLMAO:

Latest resources

Back