• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Garmin RV 890 Review and how I include WAZE

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Today driving on I-10 west about an hour west of Kerrville the 890 got stuck in "Acquiring Satellites". Android was also offering a message to kill the app but I waited a few minutes. It never restored and the unit became unresponsive. I had to hold the left side power button and power off the unit, power it back on again (reboot) and that resolved it. It restored to the route underway.

Today another lockup. Left Tucson KOA for a short drive to get an oil change. I had no sound I realized so I tried to change the volume from the controls on the back and got a not responding message shortly thereafter realizing the display was frozen. I asked Siri for directions and CarPlay navigation took over. The device had to be rebooted again. I'll reach out to Garmin. I think their choice of Android 6 was a terrible mistake. Pretty old operating system (they're on 11 now) and far less stable. Android has never been as stable as iOS but newer is always better.

I called Garmin, they said replace the unit as I have time with Amazon returns or they could replace it. Says "not normal" but who knows.

FWIW @Neal, I agree about the Android-based Garamond. I’ve owned or tested them all and, even with all the “benefits” of an OS, the crappy platform of an old Android system is horrible.
And the WORST thing is that ALL Android integrated devices will always be behind the upgrade curve. This fact comes straight from Google, who says they will always give priority to their own licensed devices.

Glad to have Apple in all other things!

Leaving this morning the no audio issue occurred again requiring a power cycle. New unit arrives tomorrow. Hope it resolves the issues I've observed.

Forgot to follow up on the new RV 890 replacement.

The first leg out the exact same problem occurred, no audio, had to reboot. I think the cause if the smart notifications, just too much noise coming from the iPhone via bluetooth or maybe something with the bluetooth in the iPhone 12 (v5?). There have since been two firmware updates and as such I have NOT had the issue again after the firmware updates. Several legs driven, working great, no audio issues.

I did have the situation again where I lost satellites and had to reboot the system, again not sure if smart notifications caused a problem. Hoping that is a rare situation.

So far the unit is working well, I really don't think the prior unit was defective but obviously in need of firmware tweaks.

One other thing I'd like to share that I really like with the RV 890. In the past I'd get off the interstate to go get gas and then the Garmin would try all kinds of crazy reroutes instead of taking me back to the interstate. This is where you had to use your judgment to get back on course and ignore the garmin and let it recalc when you hit the Interstate again. With the RV 890 and the ability to configure the Up Ahead searches of which I set Truck Stops as my top option I can now search for truck stops along my route such as finding T/A for the best TSD discounts. I then tap the GO option and then I'm asked where to put it in the route and I tell Garmin Add as Next Stop. This puts it up next with my destination after. This then routes me to the gas station then back on course without barking at me for deviating. Today however that caused a problem where I had to use judgment to override as when I arrived at the T/A in Boise it didn't agree I was there so upon leaving it was trying to give me weird routing to take me to that same waypoint for T/A. I knew where I needed to go so I got on I-84W and then stopped the route, went to recent, and selected the campground and let it take me there.

In the end I do like the RV 890 better than the 770. It is a welcome improvement in many ways from traffic integration and the up ahead features. Just some glitches to overcome. Garmin has been putting out both firmware and map updates far more frequently with the RV 890 than the 770. Another map update today.

Neal,

good info. I kind of suspected these results but didn’t want to say anything since you have already initiated a return.

Glad it working better after the updates.

I’d like to suggest you that you give all your feedback to Garmin. As a beta-tester, I can tell you that It helps them refine their firmware and touting algorithms.

thanks!

Remember that I spoke with Garmin and they told me it was defective and to replace it. I did describe the issues and of course my concern with Android 6. If anything new pops up I'll reach out to them but they really couldn't offer much the first go'round.

Remember that I spoke with Garmin and they told me it was defective and to replace it. I did describe the issues and of course my concern with Android 6. If anything new pops up I'll reach out to them but they really couldn't offer much the first go'round.
Oh yeah. That’s right. Sorry. Covid Brain Fog here. ?

Latest resources

Back