• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Garmin RV 890 Review and how I include WAZE

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just to clarify WAZE does the up ahead notifications. Think that’s a default.
I understand. But I was just trying to get an understanding on how the app worked and what benefit it provided.

Okay, just making sure you weren't expecting this from the Garmin. With the waze app running and either bluetooth connected to your dash radio or via carplay/android auto, it should be announcing any alerts up ahead. This is probably going to occur more on highways as I think truckers are using this intensely in place of CB radios. You may have been in a situation with low activity, keeping in mind the activity comes from other user reports within the app as it's a crowd sourced (social) run system.

Okay, just making sure you weren't expecting this from the Garmin. With the waze app running and either bluetooth connected to your dash radio or via carplay/android auto, it should be announcing any alerts up ahead. This is probably going to occur more on highways as I think truckers are using this intensely in place of CB radios. You may have been in a situation with low activity, keeping in mind the activity comes from other user reports within the app as it's a crowd sourced (social) run system.
Yep, we use WAZE in the car via carplay. But this RV doesn't support it so we would have to run it on Trish's (or mine) cell phone. But we didn't as we were wanting to see how the Garmin "Drive" app worked.

But as I said, I guess I"m not using it correctly. For instance, when you activate the app, after you make an account, the app asks you "Where To?". That was a tad bit confusing as we already had a 550 mile trip programmed into the Garmin 890.

It would seem reasonable that the app would have known that we have programmed in a destination. So that's why I'm saying that apparently I'm not using the app right.

First thing, I remember a friend used waze and thought it wasn't working to later realize they didn't turn the volume up. After opening waze make sure the volume is full up on the phone.

I don't enter any address in waze, it knows where I am and the road I'm on and the direction of travel and from that gave me up ahead warnings.

I've been using the included window suction mount for the first two days but that presented a problem. As I open the window it would hit the USB plug on the left side and would bend it. I imagine I could flip the device over, not sure if orientation is important, haven't tried. But I prefer to use a RAM mount on the dash using an adhesive ball as I used with the Garmin 770. I used the RAM Mount from my iPad Mini (X-Grip large or whatever it is) but discovered a problem with the Garmin RV 890. If you don't use the included mount (magnetic) it knows this and will sleep the device after a period of time if you don't interact with the screen. You can find this setting in the Display / Sleep area. I set it to 30 minutes. Due to my Garmin Drive app forwarding device notifications I will typically have interacted with the screen but twice it went to sleep on me. You have to press the button on the side to wake it again and then it has to recalc the trip, etc. I really would have hoped Garmin would have put a "never" option in this menu. I'm plugged in via USB so it's charging but regardless, if no magnetic mount it will sleep on you.
I called Garmin about the sleep issue. They said you must use the Garmin USB cord to avoid this.

I called Garmin about the sleep issue. They said you must use the Garmin USB cord to avoid this.
Incorrect, you must use the magnetic mount as indicated on the sleep screen. With that said, I did not use their USB cable as the one from the 12V will not go into the device as it's a different connector. USB Mini B from 12V to magnetic mount and USB Micro B from mount to device. I used a 12V to USB adapter and ran a cable direct to device. Again, the note on the sleep screen clearly identifies the magnetic mount as the requirement.

Ref USB and USB Micro/Mini Cable Connector Guide | C2G to figure out all the friggin USB fittings

Incorrect, you must use the magnetic mount as indicated on the sleep screen. With that said, I did not use their USB cable as the one from the 12V will not go into the device as it's a different connector. USB Mini B from 12V to magnetic mount and USB Micro B from mount to device. I used a 12V to USB adapter and ran a cable direct to device. Again, the note on the sleep screen clearly identifies the magnetic mount as the requirement.

Ref USB and USB Micro/Mini Cable Connector Guide | C2G to figure out all the friggin USB fittings
Yes. I have the 780 and switched to the magnetic mount that came with it.

Yup., things USB have gone nuts.

Hey... @Neal ... guess what?

You’re no longer current!

Ya gotta love technology. It’s the one thing I can count on being right, 100% of the time by saying “The moment you buy ‘state of the art’, its outdated!”

Hey... @Neal ... guess what?

You’re no longer current!

Ya gotta love technology. It’s the one thing I can count on being right, 100% of the time by saying “The moment you buy ‘state of the art’, its outdated!”
You're fired!

I believe the RV 890 remains a current product; it was not replaced the RV 1090. Thus, no clearance of old inventory.

The big difference seems to be the 10" screen vs 8" on the RV 890. While nice, there comes a point where the unit becomes too large to comfortably be used in other than a built-in application.

We're still quite satisfied with our RV 890 and have no interest in upgrading to a larger unit. YMMV

TJ

Latest resources

Back