Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
How do you plan rest stops? It's oddly more difficult to find them in more developed areas, such as most of Texas, skirting major cities...we will be traveling next month. I tried the historical marker database but most of those, though interesting, don't have any decent pullovers. I know of at least 3 lovely parks, on a 180-mile route that we have frequently taken, between our place and Austin, Tx, but they don't show up on any map or app I've seen.
We're doing a couple of four-hour legs on our trips this month and we need a mid-break. We have more than once been forced to perch nervously on the shoulder on a feeder road. Sometimes we spot places where truckers go. Big rig friendly businesses work also, but we can't always find those. I might be an over-planner, but I'm stumped on this next trip's route. Ideas?

It really depends what part of the country you are traveling through. On a long haul we will at least stop for lunch at a rest stop. Down south, VA, Fl, and such they are everywhere on major thoroughfares, but up North New York, upper PA, they are few and far between if any.

One book that I use all the time is called the NEXT EXIT. You can always look ahead on your route and pick out a rest stop if you are tired. It will also give you information on gas stations. Give it a shot.

HH

It really depends what part of the country you are traveling through. On a long haul we will at least stop for lunch at a rest stop. Down south, VA, Fl, and such they are everywhere on major thoroughfares, but up North New Your, upper PA, they are few and far between if any.

One book that I use all the time is called the NEXT EXIT. You can always look ahead on your route and pick out a rest stop if you are tired. It will also give you information on gas stations. Give it a shot.

HH
I have an app called iExit, but it's for interstates only, it seems.

I think I'll pick up that book - always good to have paper backups.

My navigator wears out her copy Next Exit annually. That book is very helpful, but my prostate ultimately determines where we stop!

We are big fans of Allstays.com

It has a lot more information than we will ever need.

The next exit after the wife says "I gotta go......". Our truck has about a 300-mile range. That's about 6 hrs. My bladder has a 150-mile range. That's about 3 hrs.

We zoom into our area in google maps and search for Rest Areas. It shows the ones along the highway ahead of us. Of course, we already know where they are along our most common routes.

In farm country, we just pull off the highway and park on a farm service road for lunch. Never had a farmer chase us off.

After fueling at a truck stop we sometimes pull around to the large transient parking area. I really do not like to do that, too much noise of idling trucks and diesel fumes wafting by.

In mountains, we look for a large turnout with a view.

We try to avoid stopping in any large cities. Plan fuel stops so we do not need to leave the major highways in a city. Just barrel on through and stop on the outskirts.

all good ideas - I decded to start with exits info and use earth to scope

How do you plan rest stops? It's oddly more difficult to find them in more developed areas, such as most of Texas, skirting major cities...we will be traveling next month. I tried the historical marker database but most of those, though interesting, don't have any decent pullovers. I know of at least 3 lovely parks, on a 180-mile route that we have frequently taken, between our place and Austin, Tx, but they don't show up on any map or app I've seen.
We're doing a couple of four-hour legs on our trips this month and we need a mid-break. We have more than once been forced to perch nervously on the shoulder on a feeder road. Sometimes we spot places where truckers go. Big rig friendly businesses work also, but we can't always find those. I might be an over-planner, but I'm stumped on this next trip's route. Ideas?
Ditto on problems in Texas. Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back