Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
Twila was rummaging around some old pictures and found these.
Pictures of our first travel trailer back in 1979. Only 4 years in the Air Force stationed at Hill AFB Ogden Utah. We fixed it up and yes we towed it with that 1978 Toyota Corolla SR5. Towed fine except for Hwy speeds. That’s when I learned about wind drag. It lasted a couple trips before I came to my senses.

Anybody else have pics of your first RV/trailer?

Attachments

• 99027871-BAB6-4415-9A77-86C08FBDCF5F.jpeg
    99027871-BAB6-4415-9A77-86C08FBDCF5F.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
  • E79361FD-26D5-42C1-9FED-1C7E631B02A3.jpeg
    E79361FD-26D5-42C1-9FED-1C7E631B02A3.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 18
You mean the Air Force never mentioned in 4 years anything about airflow drag? 😂

I had a canned ham in the late 70's, no pics of it. If I had any I'm sure ex wife grabbed them like she did all my collectable coins and anything else I didn't have an eye on.
No ac, no bathroom, just an icebox and a cookstove.

In the middle 80's I bought a 32 ft spartan to live in while working out of town, didn't have holding tanks, real toilet, real bathtub, no batteries. I also bought a 1971 26 ft Dodge Travco. Spent more hours working on it than I did driving it, rebuilt 413 motor, rebuilt tranny. Tornado got it.

Then after I retired I was doing some trading and at different times ended up with a Holiday Rambler and a Terry to fix and sell.
Bought a 2016 Jayco 26 ft trailer new. Wife didn't want it. Talked her into going camping one weekend and she was hooked. While on that very camping trip union called. Begging me to come back to work. They couldn't man the work. So I gave in and went to the refinery. Lived in the jayco while there. It wasn't big enough.

After that, a 29 ft sunset trail and a 35 ft windjammer. Then after deciding we really liked Florida one winter we signed a lease at a resort, decided to sell the house and full time. I bought a dually and a 42 ft Montana fifth wheel new. Then got begged back to the refinery again and spent 2 years outside of St. Louis living in it. Full time plans in Florida put on hold.

Sold a lot of extraneous stuff getting ready to sell the house and property but never did really get serious about it. Decided we'd just go 6 months here and 6 months there.

Dad had bought a 2007 Monaco Camelot diesel pusher in 2013, then lost his eyesight a short time after so it mainly had sat inside our shop. When he died a couple of years ago Mom asked me to get it ready to sell and help her sell it. Meth heads had broken in the shop and stolen the batteries out of it. I put batteries in it, got it to start, wife and I cleaned it all up. Fixed a few other things. While cleaning the inside wife says "This is really nice, I really like this". I said Better than the Montana? She says "Oh yes".

Well I really liked it too so I helped Mom sell it, to myself. Then sold the Montana and the dually.
Don't see ever getting anything else unless I win that 1.8 billion dollar powerball.

You mean the Air Force never mentioned in 4 years anything about airflow drag? 😂
They did somewhat, but as an aircraft mechanic I didn’t think about it too much.

These are a couple examples of my second camper (I think I have pics at home of the actual unit in a photo album) - Amerigo Snap N’ Nap. The back folded out from the top and a bed dropped down. So with the cabover, converted dinette, and snap n’ nap, it had three large beds and was 19 1/2’ long inside. Not bad for a late 70’s truck camper. Also note the one piece fiberglass roof and side entry door. It was heavy, but took the family all over the US and Canada.

00F93F92-93B1-412E-82BA-8F35DF74010E.jpeg
4BFAAC95-C7B6-4145-ADB5-CFB0EA78FD9E.jpeg

Latest resources

Back