• Commercial/Vendors welcome

I did something....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You'll want to install two apps from the Apple App Store. DJI Fly and also DJI Virtual Flight. I just set everything up, did firmware updates earlier, just did my first simulator run.
OK, got them both. Downloaded the DJI Fly earlier, just now downloaded Virtual Flight. I'll be ready when it arrives tomorrow!

BTW, is the simulator cool?

OK, got them both. Downloaded the DJI Fly earlier, just now downloaded Virtual Flight. I'll be ready when it arrives tomorrow!

BTW, is the simulator cool?
It's a good tool but it locked up on my when I tried my second flight. Not sure why. Powered it off for the night. I was just wanting to pair my motion controller, which I did and then did the sim. The instructions for this are crapt, thank you YouTube for the help needed.

The instructions for this are crapt, thank you YouTube for the help needed.
That's a shame, I see that way to often. Might be part of the reason for the 3 stars.

DJI typically expects you to watch their videos which are a must do and I still have more to watch. YouTubers are great in filling the gaps in about everything.

I received my drone a couple of days ago. And to be honest, I really felt I would be out flying it by now. But there is a prep curve to this beast, and some familiarization to the controls that is a must before your first flight.

The packaging of this drone is second to none. Kind of like unwrapping a new iPhone. Hats off to whoever designed this package because they did it very well.

When you get all the parts out, drone, controller, batteries, etc., etc., there is still a lot of work to be done. Mostly in the processes of updating the firmware on all the individual components. This took an inordinate amount of time and effort, and I found myself recharging the individual batteries of each component multiple times to finally get through the process.

Apparently, there are a couple of processes that take place during the update process. First, the update must be downloaded, second the update must be distributed to all the components. The components being the drone, the controller, the optical display, and if you have a motion controller, that too.

I experienced multiple updates that got to the high 90% finished level, just to freeze up and make me start all over again. And during that time, the process would drain the batteries on the individual devices, requiring me to recharge them so that I could start the process all over again. It was difficult to say the least.

But when I got it all updated, I had a chance to play with the “simulator”. When using the simulator, you put on the goggles and fly a simulated drone around a series of obstacles. While fun for a a short amount of time, I found it to be next to useless. The app locked up on multiple occasions, and even when it when it worked, it didn’t have much similarity to actually flying a drone. But in a limited way, it was fun.

All that aside, I am now prepared to fly the drone, and tomorrow I hope to buy out a bit of time to do that. And maybe even have some video!

DSCN8226.JPG

Last edited:
Too dang complicated!!
I'd crash it on the first flight! Kinda looks like flying with "blinders" on!:D

@Jim - nice write up. The batteries also have firmware so be sure to power all off, swap to each battery, power on and see if it requires an update. 1 of my 3 did.

Likewise, until I have the controls memorized "blindfolded" as you really can't look down with goggles on I will be in training before I fly. Until I feel proficient with the controller will I then proceed. I'll keep working on the simulator as well, may give the iPad a try.

One note on the motion controller from a video I watched. It may have less range, maybe significantly less range, as it doesn't have an external antenna like the normal controller so keep that in mind when the time comes to try that in that it may be for a more close in use scenario like people doing races/courses, etc.

We'll see how this weekend goes for me to get more time training on it and maybe take it up to the local school grounds for a clear open area to test fly.

@Jim - nice write up. The batteries also have firmware so be sure to power all off, swap to each battery, power on and see if it requires an update. 1 of my 3 did.
Got it! I bought the "Fly More" package a day or so after the original drone purchase, so they won't be here until Monday.

I also saw that about the limited distance when using the motion controller and I agree that it's probably best suited for close range, racing applications. To be honest, I've very seldom flown far enough that I lose eye contact with my drone.

This whole FPV thing is going to be a bit more challenging that I first expected. One problem I see coming is you can't look left/right to see possible obstacles. Turning your head does nothing when you're looking into a monitor.

But we'll see how it goes today. I've got lumber coming today for the deck on the "host site", so my flight schedule may get moved around a bit.

About an hour ago I took the new drone out for a spin. There isn’t anywhere here on the property that is really wide open, but there is a fairly open area across from my cabin rental. So that’s where we went.

I used the motion controller for the first time. The motion controller allows you to fly the drone by leaning the controller left/right/up or down. There are some other buttons that allow you to do other things like operate the gimble and bring the drone home.

I didn’t go very high, very far, or very fast, but given the obstacles I had to contend with, and the fact that the drone made it out alive, I consider this a good first flight. No video from the drone (long story, lol) but I had trish on the handheld camera for backup.

So here is a one minute video of my drone dodging trees.

Latest resources

Back