• Commercial/Vendors welcome

I did something....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Jim No photo of you with your goggles? Come On! Share! That is pretty awesome. Can't wait to see your next flight.

@Jim No photo of you with your goggles? Come On! Share! That is pretty awesome. Can't wait to see your next flight.
Well, OK, lol. Did the best I could to grab this out of the original video.. :)

jim.JPG

Attachments

• jim.png
    jim.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Clearly I dressed for the occasion. . . :)

Last edited:
About an hour ago I took the new drone out for a spin. There isn’t anywhere here on the property that is really wide open, but there is a fairly open area across from my cabin rental. So that’s where we went.

I used the motion controller for the first time. The motion controller allows you to fly the drone by leaning the controller left/right/up or down. There are some other buttons that allow you to do other things like operate the gimble and bring the drone home.

I didn’t go very high, very far, or very fast, but given the obstacles I had to contend with, and the fact that the drone made it out alive, I consider this a good first flight. No video from the drone (long story, lol) but I had trish on the handheld camera for backup.

So here is a one minute video of my drone dodging trees.

Very cool and brave @Jim. Looks like when you get proficient you have a nice FPV course to run down those trails and maybe through some of the tree areas. Take it slow is key. Nice work!

Flew around the same area again today. Getting more comfortable but the whole FPV deal has a bit of a learning curve.

I used the normal controller this time and have to say, I like it a whole lot better than the motion controller. Probably because it's what I've used for the last couple of years. But to be honest, I think the money would have been better spent on another battery than on the motion controller. Really doesn't take long to burn through a battery.

Found myself having to kneel down as I was getting a bit dizzy. You know your standing on the ground, but your brain is telling your equilibrium that your floating around the top of a tree and that the ground is 50 feet below. lol, it's a mess. I think I'll start including a folding chair with my equipment. :)

When I first saw someone fly a FPV drone he was sitting in a lawn chair. Now I know why. Haven't flown mine yet, have more training to do tomorrow as today I flew the real FPV thing...

Haven't flown mine yet, have more training to do tomorrow as today I flew the real FPV thing...
Yeah, we all envy you. Well, I sure do anyway. :)

@Jim just did another sim session, crashed a few times, gonna need to get this up/down figured out on the left as flying real things confuses me as that's the right stick forward/aft. Never really had an issue with this on the Mavic. But something I learned, the freezing in the sim is only the goggles. If you remove those and just look at your phone or iPad you can continue to fly, the phone itself (the app) is not freezing. I've been using my phone and now that I see that the app is working fine I'll try it next time on the iPad. That will give a bigger screen to fly off of. And yes, the goggles were giving me a little of the wobblies so a chair is probably a great idea.

@Jim just did another sim session, crashed a few times, gonna need to get this up/down figured out on the left as flying real things confuses me as that's the right stick forward/aft. Never really had an issue with this on the Mavic.
All the drones I've ever flown use the left stick for up/down. The right is forward/backward. But you can go into the goggles, under settings, and then under controller, and adjust what the sticks do. You may find the solution there. I didn't change mine, because they work the way I expected. (I've never flown a real airplane, lol.)

Toss the simulator and just go outside and fly. The simulator only makes you feel like flying this thing is harder than it is. Start without the goggles and fly it like any other drone. You only need the goggles when the drone gets too far away to see.

I've leaned more in my 2 short flights around the field than anything the simulator taught me.

Edit: I will say that the goggles are part of the challenge. Learning to remember what's coming up, and keeping it in the back of your mind, can be a bit challenging. And then perspective is also a challenge. But so far so good! I'm flying around a very busy/congested area and I've managed to keep my drone out of the trees. :)

Latest resources

Back