• Commercial/Vendors welcome

I did something....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well, the drone is fast, that's for sure! Don't know where that bump came from at the end of the video, but it took me over an hour to upload it the first time and I'm not going to remake the video. So it is-what-it-is.

It's a lot of fun, just whish there was somewhere I could fly it without having to dodge trees all the time. Trish suggested the airport, lots of open room out there. lol, told her no, I don't think they'd care for that too much. :)
Bonneville Salt Flats maybe?

I've been busy and haven't gotten to fly as much as I had hoped, but I'm feeling more confident each time. Yesterday I did a quick fly over the park at about 300'.

Love the way the goggles make me feel like I'm looking out the window from inside the drone. I haven't flown an airplane before, but I have to think it looks a lot like what I see in the googles. It feels so REAL when I bank the drone and then straighten it out. Quite cool, indeed.

You're way ahead of me. What you don't know is I'm on drone 4 now! Yep! And no, I didn't crash it. 3 were defective. First one had a horizontal range of about 500 ft and then just stopped. Drone 2 had a defective battery. Drone 3 a defective battery. Drone 4 appears to be fine. Got it right before I left and finally flew it while at Newmar last week and all appears fine so far.

You're way ahead of me. What you don't know is I'm on drone 4 now! Yep! And no, I didn't crash it. 3 were defective. First one had a horizontal range of about 500 ft and then just stopped. Drone 2 had a defective battery. Drone 3 a defective battery. Drone 4 appears to be fine. Got it right before I left and finally flew it while at Newmar last week and all appears fine so far.
Wow, that's just nuts. I like mine so much that I haven't flown my Autel Evo 2 since I got the FPV. So far, no issues. But I have to admit I get a little quezy on long range flights where the drone is literally miles away.

Yeah, my spotter can't even see it. She only knows that it's somewhere out there and what direction it was going when she last saw it.

I tried flying the Mavic 2 Pro not long ago - boring! It's a good photo tool but for fun the DJI FPV looks like it's going to be fun to play with.

I tried flying the Mavic 2 Pro not long ago - boring! It's a good photo tool but for fun the DJI FPV looks like it's going to be fun to play with.
I bought an Autel X-Star Professional several years ago when they discontinued the model. The X-Star was a couple thousand dollars new, but only a few hundred when they discontinued them. It was a great drone to learn with.

Today, it's been through some serious crashes and the camera mount is damaged and isn't usable anymore. But it's a great drone to practice precision, close encounter, flying skills. And if I have a fatal crash, it's not like I lost a $2,500 drone. :)

I still have a blast with it. This morning, I was flying around the trees up here at home, and almost lost it in a head on with an giant Oak. Got stopped just in the nick of time!

But flying the FPV is just a different experience all together. I don't take off with the goggles on, but that's only because I want to make sure I'm clear of all obstacles before I put them on. But I almost always land with them on. It's a personal thing and mostly just because I want to gain experience.

By the way I ended up sending the case I bought back, too big to deal with in the RV. I ended up getting the backpack below and love it. I can ride a bike somewhere to fly it, easily stores in the RV closet, etc.

backpack.png

Nice! Guess the battery for the goggles goes in the zippered area?

Would be great to dump that big case I've got, but it-is-what-it-is. On the positive side, there's lots of room if the drone hits someone and I have to carry a body out of the area.

The goggle battery has a cutout too, the four goggle antennas go in a cutout. It's nicely done and light.

Took the drone up to about 250' and ran it up to 70mph. Flew a couple of wide circles and then dropped back down to about 10mph. The video is only showing in SD but tomorrow it will probably show in 4K, or at least HD. Forgot to turn the sound off so you'll have to turn the sound down to avoid those screaming little motors. lol

Latest resources

Back