RV Make
Renegade
RV Length
45’
TOW/TOAD
ATC Trailer
Fulltimer
Yes
At times I wonder if my next career should be in RV layout and design.

When I see the choices that RV manufacturers make it becomes very obvious that the designer or engineer has never used an RV.

What clueless design choices bug you about RVs? Would be great if we get some ideas here we can pass on to RV manufacturers (or at least just the satisfaction of venting).

Here are the first items to start the list

- Locate the DEF fill next to the diesel tank fill (NOT at the opposite end of the coach from the diesel tank fill)
- When aux heat is added to waste tanks be sure to also add aux heat to water supply
- Access panels for plumbing should be held in place by easily removable fasteners (screws, not nails)
- Fuse/breaker locations should all be well documented on a compartment or cabinet wall (ideally there should be no more than 2 locations, one for the chassis and one for the house)
- Communication wiring (TV, internet, electronics) whose specs are changing every 5 years, should be done in a channel or conduit to allow for updates
- Roof vents need to be redesigned to allow for insulated covers
- Phones are ubiquitous, include 2 places for phones to be mounted within eyesight for both driver and passenger

I really like them to listen to you, but…..
Ain’t gonna work. It is like telling a politician to use common sense. Money talks…. And you know the rest.

Our RV has storage under the seats of the U-dinette. The seat closest to the wall can only really be accessed by taking the table out unless you need something really small and light.

My wife's parents' RV has storage in the same place but it's only accessible from the outside of the RV. Why can't I have both options?

Agree that motorhome things are difficult. We are former boat owners and slipped all summer. All 3 we owned had 1 panel area and it was split in half for 12 V and 110. I could go to one spot and turn things on and off very simple. Even the holding tank draining was done with a vac system right in the slip. The overall advantages of camping FAR outweigh the boat life (for us). But I will admit, when it comes to anything with a wire in it, boats are more owner friendly.
Ken

All the “non standard direction” for off on toggle switches. Seems each one is opposite.
unmarked or black writing on a black switch - unlit From inside.

It seems like every time I want to use a compartment for a rather common item, the compartment is just an inch too small. There are plenty of cupboards but just so little actual space. I agree, the engineers obviously do not use motor homes. Like engineers that design and build airplanes never had to work on them!

Standardize wire codes with color. If no color, tags. Never bury a serviceable item in or under non removable panels. As a cabinet guy, I know of a couple of systems that allow removal and replacement without looking ugly. Stop using plastic coated cardboard for trim, the cabinets belong in a Mattel dollhouse.

Latest resources

Back