• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Is Starlink worth it for RVers?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I usually suggest to people that the "real" speed test is whether or not they can use their internet connection for their desired purposes. Online speed tests can provide a guide, but the real "bottom line" is whether you can accomplish a task like streaming video without lots of rebuffering. If you can, then IMO your speed as measured by a speed test is rather irrelevant.

I usually suggest to people that the "real" speed test is whether or not they can use their internet connection for their desired purposes. Online speed tests can provide a guide, but the real "bottom line" is whether you can accomplish a task like streaming video without lots of rebuffering. If you can, then IMO your speed as measured by a speed test is rather irrelevant.
I guess you do your way and I'll do my way. Since I have 4 ways to connect to the internet I not going to try one and see if it works during the day and during prime time and if not switch to another one. I start with my T-Mobile connection and if I'm getting 300 to as high as 500 plus on the speed test I'm done if not going switch to SIM B Verizon which lately has been less than 5 on the speed test then Starlink and last AT&T phone hotspot. If all else fails I use Plex on my local network.

I agree, we get caught up with bars and speed tests and they have "some value" but can you do what you need to do is the most important aspect. Services such as Netflix, YouTube, etc. will automatically handle streaming and buffering based on your connectivity and adjust accordingly. I know we all want the hardwired consistency but until campgrounds can give us ethernet ports and services it won't happen. Remember, IMHO, Starlink is still a beta Internet service and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

I agree, we get caught up with bars and speed tests and they have "some value" but can you do what you need to do is the most important aspect. Services such as Netflix, YouTube, etc. will automatically handle streaming and buffering based on your connectivity and adjust accordingly. I know we all want the hardwired consistency but until campgrounds can give us ethernet ports and services it won't happen. Remember, IMHO, Starlink is still a beta Internet service and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.
That just doesn't make sense to try to figure out which connections are going to work best by watching Netflix or YouTube and see if they buffer or reduce the resolution. When I pull into the new campgrounds I bring up the Peplink BR1 and check all available connections with either speed test or fast dot com. Then put the fastest one in priority one and the second fastest in priority two and so on and 99 percent of the time I'm good to go. Trying to use Netflix for the fastest connections just doesn't make much sense to me. Here at this campgorund I have Starlink - Campground 5g - Campground 2g then T-Mobile in order of speedtest/fast.com testing.

We all do - check the best connection and use that, agreed. The point is what is a good enough connection based on your strongest, can it still do what you need?

Many people these days use much of their roof space for solar cells. If you are interested in boondocking having extra space can be very important. If you are a person who largely stays in RV parks with hookups, this is less of a benefit.
Surprised I haven't seen anyone yet put their Starlink dish on "legs" above their solar panel to get max performance out of Starlink, yet still get some sunlight to the panel below to maximize roof real estate. Curious on the negative effect on solar production being partially blocked by the dish.

100% reduction of power.
Run this experiment:
Get reading on your controller.
Place a notebook over just one cell on your panel, and get another reading.

This brings down every panel on a single controller.

We will install the new mobile antenna on the new coach.. did not get a regular sat dish. we have Starlink at home and love it. We did find the limit is 1 T per month. Over that you get deprioritized and potential pay more. Not sure if this happens with thev2500 dollar equipment. Certainly a commercial account is not limited.

Over that you get deprioritized and potential pay more. Not sure if this happens with thev2500 dollar equipment. Certainly a commercial account is not limited.
When you use the in-motion hardware, you automatically get an RV data plan which has no high priority data. All your data is deprioritized. Therefore, you don't have a data "limit" as you do with a residential plan.

It was worth it for us. Made out dish service obsolete. For the same price we get all the HD streaming (much much better than dish), Internet and wifi calling when cell is not available.
Best thing for RV customers is, we can turn off the service when back home and not pay for it untill we are back on the road. Overall it costs us $80 less a month with the SL setup.
Your situation may be different?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back