Isata
RV Length
Chassis
Ford E450
Engine
V-10
Fulltimer
No
Hello, been running our 2006 26’ Dynamax Isata e450 chassis for about 10 years as a weekender but have recently retired and will start doing longer trips in the spring so I am trying to figure out what to do for a toad. I usually tow a 5500# boat so not new to towing but have no experience flat towing a vehicle.

My real question is about towing my Grand Cherokee. Curb weight 5200#. Is this too much vehicle for my relatively small class c? I’d like to avoid the expense of buying a dedicated vehicle ( probably a wrangler which we really don’t care for) especially since it would only get used intermittently through the summer months.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
I have a Grand Cherokee Summit, and it is an excellent toad. It tows perfectly behind. I highly recommend the Roadmaster towing equipment, and Blue Ox is also good. I use a Blue Ox base plate with the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, and it is a great setup. Check out etrailer.com, as they have excellent support material on towing and various vehicles, and if you want to do it yourself, they sell everything you need. Good luck.

You might want to be sure you can flat tow your Jeep. Not all Jeep Models are flat towable.

Hello, been running our 2006 26’ Dynamax Isata e450 chassis for about 10 years as a weekender but have recently retired and will start doing longer trips in the spring so I am trying to figure out what to do for a toad. I usually tow a 5500# boat so not new to towing but have no experience flat towing a vehicle.

My real question is about towing my Grand Cherokee. Curb weight 5200#. Is this too much vehicle for my relatively small class c? I’d like to avoid the expense of buying a dedicated vehicle ( probably a wrangler which we really don’t care for) especially since it would only get used intermittently through the summer months.

Thanks in advance for any advice
If you do decide to tow your Jeep please make sure you have a proper braking system installed.

Safe travels

Darrell

I have a Grand Cherokee Summit, and it is an excellent toad. It tows perfectly behind. I highly recommend the Roadmaster towing equipment, and Blue Ox is also good. I use a Blue Ox base plate with the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, and it is a great setup. Check out etrailer.com, as they have excellent support material on towing and various vehicles, and if you want to do it yourself, they sell everything you need. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply. I’m going to set the GC up and see how we like it. If it proves to be too much I’ll only be out the cost of the base plate and installation which I would do myself. Everything else could transfer over to a smaller toad later if we choose. Best regards

I set up our Grand Cherokee for towing myself. There's great Grand Cherokee video's to help with installation including the Roadmaster wiring system I used. I used a Demco baseplate and like the surge brake system my towbar utilizes.

FWIW I had a Cherokee trailhawk prior to the GC so if you want something smaller that’s an option too.

We tow a GV Overland. See easy to hookup and tows like a dream behind our Bay Star. We do slow down on hills a bit more but we were gonna do that anyway.

We tow a GV Overland. See easy to hookup and tows like a dream behind our Bay Star. We do slow down on hills a bit more but we were gonna do that anyway.
This is encouraging seeing that you have the V-10 Triton like I do. My boat drags me down on hills so do know what to expect there. Thanks again everyone, we’ll see how it goes come spring time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back