Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Jeep mileage adds while towing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
No mileage towing a 2017, 2018, 2023 and 2024 Jeep Wrangler

My apologies mine is a 2008. I don’t know why I was thinking 2009???
They say your memory is the second thing to go. I can’t remember what the first thing was. 🤪
Anyway the wheel does lock.
An early 2008 will have a steering lock. It appears you have a TJ that will add mileage being towed. That must be why you tow a Slingshot!
:)

Darrell

@BGMAC, @Rollin Ollen - I've learned a lot from this discussion and investigative 'series'. 😁 We settled on what appears to be a very well-cared-for 2000 TJ. Manual, 5spd 4cyl. It is already configured for toad and the seller handed over the 6.5 Blue Ox equipment as part of the deal. The only thing I'm still not getting from this discussion is if mileage actually accrues while towing. I see that in some instances the speedo operates, but mileage? I'm not always the quickest on uptake, so please excuse me if this has already been explained. 🙄😊 I did note that when I put the ignition switch on our TJ to the first click forward, no accessories turn on and the odometer display does not illuminate. We'll be taking a test tow later this week when weather settles and I'll know more then. Thank everyone for their input here. It has been very informative.

@BGMAC, @Rollin Ollen - I've learned a lot from this discussion and investigative 'series'. 😁 We settled on what appears to be a very well-cared-for 2000 TJ. Manual, 5spd 4cyl. It is already configured for toad and the seller handed over the 6.5 Blue Ox equipment as part of the deal. The only thing I'm still not getting from this discussion is if mileage actually accrues while towing. I see that in some instances the speedo operates, but mileage? I'm not always the quickest on uptake, so please excuse me if this has already been explained. 🙄😊 I did note that when I put the ignition switch on our TJ to the first click forward, no accessories turn on and the odometer display does not illuminate. We'll be taking a test tow later this week when weather settles and I'll know more then. Thank everyone for their input here. It has been very informative.
It only added mileage on the video posted because he left the key on and did not disconnect the battery. Most years do not require the key in the on position as the steering does not lock. His model year required it. So, since he left the key on and the battery connected, it added mileage.
So if you follow the owners manual on your model year and perform the required steps, it will not add miles to the odometer.
Leaving out a step can lead to failure. Here is a guy who left out the put the transfer case in neutral How NOT To Flat Tow a Jeep Wrangler

The only thing I'm still not getting from this discussion is if mileage actually accrues while towing. I see that in some instances the speedo operates, but mileage? I'm not always the quickest on uptake, so please excuse me if this has already been explained. 🙄😊 I did note that when I put the ignition switch on our TJ to the first click forward, no accessories turn on and the odometer display does not illuminate
No, no, no, the odometer in the 1997 to 2006 TJ absolutely does NOT accrue mileage, nor does the speedometer work when transfer case is in neutral for towing. The last Wrangler that did accrue mileage was the YJ up to model year 1995. In those, the speedometer/odometer cable had to be manually removed from the transmission! On the TJ, the steering wheel lock spring can easily be removed in about 5 minutes with a phillips screwdriver, details are all over the interweb Jeep forums.

Last edited:
And that is what constructive dialog is about/ I too, leaned a thing or two! :)

Safe travels

Darrell

It only added mileage on the video posted because he left the key on and did not disconnect the battery. Most years do not require the key in the on position as the steering does not lock. His model year required it. So, since he left the key on and the battery connected, it added mileage.
So if you follow the owners manual on your model year and perform the required steps, it will not add miles to the odometer.
Leaving out a step can lead to failure. Here is a guy who left out the put the transfer case in neutral How NOT To Flat Tow a Jeep Wrangler
The directions in the link is dead on except..... I believe it is safer to make the jeep rollable anchored to the tow vehicle. It's also a whole lot easier nosing up to the coach rather than backing the coach but, to each their own.

Darrell

The directions in the link is dead on except..... I believe it is safer to make the jeep rollable anchored to the tow vehicle. It's also a whole lot easier nosing up to the coach rather than backing the coach but, to each their own.

Darrell
Not the point of the post, the point was the guy did not follow the proper procedures and blew out the bottom end of his motor

On the TJ, the steering wheel lock spring can easily be removed in about 5 minutes with a phillips screwdriver, details are all over the interweb Jeep forums.
This might explain why the steering wheel in the 2000 TJ I just bought does not lock at ALL? It doesn't matter which position my key is in, the steering wheel does NOT lock out. There are four positions. All the way back (counter clockwise) = accessories. Forward one click = No accessories and requires pushing the key release button to get it out. Forward two positions = same as one position, but can remove key without using the release button. And forward three positions =start/run.
I thought that was odd - the 'no lock' thing.

Seems I'm learning more with every comment here. Thanks everyone.

Latest resources

Back