Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar not taking accountability? Passing the blame on quality to vendors?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Isn’t it ironic that a ex Whirlpool executive a company notorious for making the worst RV washer dryer in the industry, that even Newmar had to stop using, is now running Newmar🤔
Pulled one out of a Newmar yesterday and put in a Splendid, dryer tomorrow.

The peeling Flexsteel furniture problem many, many of us have faced with no support from Newmar is a good example. Newmar choose Flexsteel as their furniture supplier and over the years they put the screws to Flexsteel to remove cost hence the cheap covering materials. I am convinced that Newmar was aware of these changes and in fact directed Flexsteel to make them yet they reflect responsibility and blame Flexsteel. End result....Flexsteel exits the markets, folks loose their jobs and we Newmar owners end up with $5-$6,000 recovering costs. On the same front, the new Newmar President is very skilled at "It's not our fault". With this kind of leadership you will see a continued decline at Newmar. What a shame too!

The peeling Flexsteel furniture problem many, many of us have faced with no support from Newmar is a good example. Newmar choose Flexsteel as their furniture supplier and over the years they put the screws to Flexsteel to remove cost hence the cheap covering materials. I am convinced that Newmar was aware of these changes and in fact directed Flexsteel to make them yet they reflect responsibility and blame Flexsteel. End result....Flexsteel exits the markets, folks loose their jobs and we Newmar owners end up with $5-$6,000 recovering costs. On the same front, the new Newmar President is very skilled at "It's not our fault". With this kind of leadership you will see a continued decline at Newmar. What a shame too!
Add to this the 2023 43 foot DS , $700,000 MSRP standard with cheap vinyl furniture, that dealers have to “special” the Ultra leather from previous model years. Or that the 2023’s had manual switch’s for the toilet flush instead of the electric control toilets that have been used for at least the last 8 years of production.As received no water entered the bowel to flush, after many complaints Newmar basically added a diode so while your holding the flush switch down its adds water. Again a motorhome with a transactional price north of $500,000 dollars

Here is a problem most haven't thought of. Per Brett (NIRVC) the average ownership duration is 4.3 years. Imagine you make a choice, like me, to keep your coach for the duration. What happens 10-15 years down the road with your "fancy Newmar tech" (nothing fancy in today's era) such as KIB or SilverLeaf when it quits working? The same thing is occurring to the SilverLeaf predecessor EPLEX. Is Newmar able to support the tech they offer today, 20 to 30 years down the road? @DavidL is probably experiencing some of this in his renovation project.
My experience with Newmar was when I first acquired my totaled Newmar. Pre-Winnnebago. Their parts department was the only department I needed to work with and they did a very nice job.
I haven't needed to interact with Newmar for service and sales departments as I Do It Yourself (DIY) as a passion.

I am replacing the outdated electronics with my own. I have the advantage that that's my day job. And am building these systems so they are retrofit to older (or newer) vehicles with a very modular architecture. I enjoy engineering and developing and supporting this stuff.

As I was 30 years as an OEM (Chrysler / DaimlerChrysler / FiatChrysler) the notion of the "OEM" blaming issues on a supplier is just not heard of. As the OEM, I took personal responsibility for my suppliers screw ups (as they are "my" screwups). It's just not in the vernacular.

I can't tell you how many meetings I was in with SiriusXM on "who owns the customer" with regards to Customer Relationship Management, Messaging, Pricing of Services, What channels to offer, what price, what demo period etc. And that relationship is somewhat unique that those conversations even existed because of the shared revenue business model. Zero discussion with the other 99.9% of suppliers on who owns the Customer. All in the industry know "Chrysler" owns the customer. OR they are OUT as a supplier.

Heck, look at GM recently "kicking out" Apple CarPlay. It's ALL about who owns the customer.

The RV industry just doesn't have the scale to completely own the customer experience. But out of all, Winnebago should look at this as their opportunity BECAUSE of their scale relative to other RV OEMs.

Electronics / Infotainment is one of the weakest areas of all RV manufacturers. They are great with wood cabinetry, but not so great with electronics. Selection, architecture, and end user usability is really not the strong point. They just don't have the scale like the auto manufactures have of actually doing real engineering (with in house expertise) so have to sublet to not even a manufacturer but an "integrator". But it is what it is.

Last edited:
Sadly I don't believe any rv warranty is worth paying full price for the unit.I would think a good warranty program would give us a incentive to buy new.

Latest resources

Back