Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Reversed polarity on battery hook up. What do I do?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

thewanderer

RVF Newbee
I just tried hooking up my battery for the first time. I (incorrectly) thought that the black wire was for the negative terminal (like on a car battery). I am certain that a fuse, or fuses were blown. Does anyone know if there is a fuse that automatically blows in order to protect the inverter, and all other electronics? I have a 2004 Rockwood Freedom LTD pop-up camper. Thank you! Rob

I just tried hooking up my battery for the first time. I (incorrectly) thought that the black wire was for the negative terminal (like on a car battery). I am certain that a fuse, or fuses were blown. Does anyone know if there is a fuse that automatically blows in order to protect the inverter, and all other electronics? I have a 2004 Rockwood Freedom LTD pop-up camper. Thank you! Rob

First let’s get some terms correct. An inverter is a device that takes 12 volts from your battery and turns it into 120 volts so you can run things like your microwave.

A converter takes 120 volts and turns it into 12 volts to charge your batteries, run your lights,water pump, furnace motor etc.

My guess is you do not have an inverter but probably a converter on that rig. Go to your converter and look for two main orange 40 amp fuses. There job is to protect against reverse polarity hookup like you did. Get back to us with what you find. A picture of the front of the converter would be helpful.

Good luck. Don’t beat yourself up to bad over this. Very common. Lots of us have done it.

Latest resources

Back