Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DMS64xo

RVF Newbee
We rented a 30' Ace Thor RV to see if we would like to purchase one. It was scary when a tractor trailers passed us. It would pull us in and we had to swerve to get out of draft. Does this happen to bigger heavier RV's? Not sure if we should go with RV or Fifth Wheel. Do the rear diesel pushers have the same effect? Thanks for any suggestions.

This is a common problem among the lighter RVs, especially gas models. You will find over time that you will anticipate the air forces and correct in advance.
Or like we did with our CanyonStar you supplement the suspension with various aftermarket items to improve handling. However, many folks just learn to drive with it. It does become second nature.
Drive slower, 60-62 MPH and learn how much correction is required to stay in lane.
There is a known issue of driver induced sway. Sawing the wheel back and forth trying to "catch" the vehicle movement. This suspension takes a bit of time to react to your inputs, you have to be patient.
The wheel sawing is very uncomfortable for all and can be potentially dangerous.
Diesel Pushers (DP) are heavier and some DP have added stability features to resist the air pressure push of passing large vehicles and wind.
However, these big Class As are a giant billboard on wheels. Wind has an effect of its stability.

No experience with 5 Wheels.

No experience with 5th wheel or Class A, just Super C.
Heavier and bigger makes a difference, but a big part of that improvement is bigger and heavier also have twin rear axles which helps stabilize.

Passing trucks have a wind dam that is causing the problem.
Gas MHs have a pivot point that balances the load, as a result when you look at an RV think of a teater toter child's toy. The further back the axles the less the wind dam will effect you.

Pull trailers have an exaggerated issue due to the distance the hitch is behind the tow vehicle's axle. The fifth has less reaction due to the fact the steer axle is unaffected by movement of the box.

My money is on the fifth, however, none of the RVs are unaffected by the dam(I have owned all but DPs).

It should be noted that planning can mitigate much of this problem. I'm not talking about trip planning, but rather weather planning. Tail winds for you mean a larger stronger wind dam for the oncoming truck, and less dam for a Passing truck. Although some of us stay off the road in windy conditions, others really have no other choice. However understanding what will happen due to wind you can prepare for the inevitable, by slowing down so you can react properly. Pull to the outside of your lane as the truck closes in so you are in the weaker stream. And keep aware that trucks or other RVs are approaching.

Air suspension helps as well. I travel with around 70psi in the rear and it makes a difference. Class C and we still get pushed some. You do get adjusted to it with how you drive.

Passing trucks have a wind dam that is causing the problem.
Gas MHs have a pivot point that balances the load, as a result when you look at an RV think of a teater toter child's toy. The further back the axles the less the wind dam will effect you.

Pull trailers have an exaggerated issue due to the distance the hitch is behind the tow vehicle's axle. The fifth has less reaction due to the fact the steer axle is unaffected by movement of the box.

My money is on the fifth, however, none of the RVs are unaffected by the dam(I have owned all but DPs).

It should be noted that planning can mitigate much of this problem. I'm not talking about trip planning, but rather weather planning. Tail winds for you mean a larger stronger wind dam for the oncoming truck, and less dam for a Passing truck. Although some of us stay off the road in windy conditions, others really have no other choice. However understanding what will happen due to wind you can prepare for the inevitable, by slowing down so you can react properly. Pull to the outside of your lane as the truck closes in so you are in the weaker stream. And keep aware that trucks or other RVs are approaching.
Thank you. Very helpful!

This is a common problem among the lighter RVs, especially gas models. You will find over time that you will anticipate the air forces and correct in advance.
Or like we did with our CanyonStar you supplement the suspension with various aftermarket items to improve handling. However, many folks just learn to drive with it. It does become second nature.
Drive slower, 60-62 MPH and learn how much correction is required to stay in lane.
There is a known issue of driver induced sway. Sawing the wheel back and forth trying to "catch" the vehicle movement. This suspension takes a bit of time to react to your inputs, you have to be patient.
The wheel sawing is very uncomfortable for all and can be potentially dangerous.
Diesel Pushers (DP) are heavier and some DP have added stability features to resist the air pressure push of passing large vehicles and wind.
However, these big Class As are a giant billboard on wheels. Wind has an effect of its stability.

No experience with 5 Wheels.
Thank you!

I can drive my rig with just two fingers when a tractor trailer passes (the other way) in a 65mph two lane road. When going in the same direction and a TT passes next to me on a 4 lane road, I do have to slightly correct but can still do so with just 2 fingers. I keep my Comfort Drive setting at 3 and the rig weighs 44K lbs.
I do typically drive using at least one hand on the wheel.

Latest resources

Back