Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RussellT

RVF Regular
I'm looking for a trailer to move into. I live in the northeast so keeping warm, both myself and the trailer, is a fact of life. I'm looking in the 30' range. I have a 1/2 ton truck to pull it with. That leaves pretty light weight trailers as my option. I'm guessing that part of the weight reduction is things like any kind of insulation. Will I be able to keep systems from freezing even with tank heaters and constantly running heat of some kind in the unit itself or is that asking too much from a light weight trailer?

They make trailers that are 4 seasons rated. I think some of them are half ton towable but probably more in the 24 foot and less range.

I'm looking for a trailer to move into. I live in the northeast so keeping warm, both myself and the trailer, is a fact of life. I'm looking in the 30' range. I have a 1/2 ton truck to pull it with. That leaves pretty light weight trailers as my option. I'm guessing that part of the weight reduction is things like any kind of insulation. Will I be able to keep systems from freezing even with tank heaters and constantly running heat of some kind in the unit itself or is that asking too much from a light weight trailer?
It's not only insulation on light (lite) trailers that adds weight.

Suggest you look up AZ Expert on YouTube. He covers some floor replacements on "lite" trailers and other issues.

Basically, my take is these lite trailers are built for the vacation crowd that only uses their trailers on a few weekends and a few weeks out of the year. Check the warranties on some of these. They deny coverage if you use it outside of these parameters.

A full time trailer is not a lite vacation trailer.

It's not only insulation on light (lite) trailers that adds weight.

Suggest you look up AZ Expert on YouTube. He covers some floor replacements on "lite" trailers and other issues.

Basically, my take is these lite trailers are built for the vacation crowd that only uses their trailers on a few weekends and a few weeks out of the year. Check the warranties on some of these. They deny coverage if you use it outside of these parameters.

A full time trailer is not a lite vacation trailer.
I agree with @jaydee325, I've had several 4 season 5th wheels, "4 season" is more of a selling point, you still need lots of propane and skirting, get used to the furnace running all night.

The 4 season line is just that, a line. Without setting one up properly in the NE you are asking for trouble. I grew up with my family owning a trailer park in Maine. Winterizing was taken very seriously. Even many of the houses back in the day were in need of winterizing, and many were not nearly as nice as todays campers.

Thank you for all of the feedback. I expect to have to do a lot of preparation for winter. I just wanted to make sure it was doable and I wasn't going to get myself in trouble.

Russell; You get REALLY limited for trailer choices with the 1/2 ton. I had to look for about 6 months before I found one that "fit" my 1/2-ton's towing capabilites, and that wasn't a pile of crap on wheels. Even then, I think I'm pushing the truck's weight limits a bit, but haven't actually put it/them on a CAT scale yet, sooooo. It tows decent enough, but I worry about weight limits, and if something happens, whether my insurance company would leave me high and dry if I'm overweight.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

NO one that I know of has documented a case of that happening, it just keeps getting repeated on the internet. Not that I am advocating for being stupid with tow ratings. Much of the ability to tow anything within reason is the ability of the tow driver and the quality of the tow vehicle and how it is loaded and set up. Pick any one of those items and a fight will break out. All 4 of those things are intangibles and difficult to put into recommendations. The rules that we work by are made so that any soccer mom can jump behind the wheel and go.....maybe. But we think nothing of putting retirees behind the wheel of a 48 ft. gigantic diesel machine when they never driven anything bigger then a Toyota Camry in their lives. But its legal so no liability?
I'll go make some popcorn now.....

We have what is called a wheel house.or fish house will keep you warm and nothing froze down to -20 degrees. It’s for sale

I'm not really looking to pull this thing around. I need to get it from point of sale to where I'm going to set it up. I'm going to look into renting a truck to do this. I figure it's not going to be a "pull up and back in" experience. I'll need some back and forth to get it level. I don't think I can hire that out. My 22 year old half ton pick up isn't going to get it done. It's one more consideration in buying the rig. I'm out of the 5th wheel market because I can't move one. I can hire a mover but I have the same problem. They're going to get it to the address and leave it. Again, how do I get it in place. I'm finding there are a lot more considerations than I first realized. Live and learn. Fortunately I haven't spent any money yet.

Latest resources

Back