Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question RV internet installation in FL?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Contemplating the installation of a comprehensive Pepwave system with Cell and Starlink In the new Dutchstar. Looking for a reputable and RV experienced installer in Florida. Any thoughts?

Thoughts....wait until you get your DSDP and just use the Pepwave standalone as is and see how it works. It will work fine with Starlink via Wi-Fi but better with ethernet I believe if/when you can get the ethernet run done, which wasn't hard for me.

I'm hoping to be in southern florida this winter at least for 2-3 months starting end of January and would be happy to help you. But as @Texas Clodhopper can attest I'm outrageously expensive and the ideas for spending your money will be non stop :)

Just to add a thought...you'll want to take some time to figure out where you want things to live. For example, my pepwave is over top my driver's seat in the A/V compartment Newmar designed to be there. If I was to do it over again I'd want my Pepwave mid ship, in the half bath so my Wi-Fi is centralized and it's better located for patio use as well. I have an access point mid ship in the basement which would not be needed if the main unit was better located.

Starlink is evolving, rumors are something new coming this fall, possibly 12V or PoE configuration which is much less of a power hog than the current setup. May not even need a router and it will be dishy only which would be nice.

Agreed. At this point looking for ideas.
I am going to try using a T-Mobile 5g router first. Try to find locations that make sense for that piece. If I feel the need for Starlink, i'll figure out a good space for the antenna and Router. If all that comes together I may use my Pepwave unit to combine the two. A V2 is making the rounds.

The specs for this new Gen 3 Starlink router are impressive. Here are the highlights:

• Wi-Fi 6 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax
  • Tri Band radio
  • 2 LAN Ethernet ports
  • WPA2 security
  • Support for up to 235 devices
  • Compatible with gen 2 and gen 3 mesh nodes

Starlink "Gen 3 Router" Introduced, Compatible With Original Circular Dish - Starlink Hardware

We have a Pepwave and the outdoor antenna. Initially we chose not to permanently mount the outdoor antenna to allow us to try different locations.
We found to be true what Neal suggested - we have not had to use the external antenna since 2021.
Be sure to follow his other suggestion and have the peplink toward the middle of the coach, will provide better WiFi coverage.
We do not have our peplink permanently mounted, we pull it out of a cabinet and plug it in. Allows us to place it near a window on one side or the other, providing better signal strength.

Pepwaves tend to run hot; it doesn't hurt them but generally heat is the enemy of electronics and will shorten life at least. Mount it somewhere with decent ventilation.

Latest resources

Back