F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
Hello all,
I just wanted to share what I did setting up my Toad for the first time. I did ask a few questions on setup here on another thread and everyone was most helpful.
i am a DYI kind of guy with a mechanical background and I do tend to look for deals when I can.
I went out on Craigslist and Facebook Market Place to see what I could find. Taking my time I eventually found a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar In good shape. I bought it, inspected it, cleaned and lubed it. Then went online and got a Black Friday deal for tow bar adapters to fit my front bumper. I had some trailer wiring laying around and wired the Jeeps rear lights for towing. Then made a harness to go between the Jeep and RV. Purchased a new breakaway switch from Amazon using points so no cost. Found a Break Buddy online, tested it and bought it and ran power and breakaway wires to it. Also bought a manual battery shutoff switch from Amazon at no charge (points). I believe I’m ready to go.
I also made a metal cover to go over the battery switch.

Cost Breakdown:
Blue Ox Towbar = $150
Towbar Adapters = $65
7 Harness & Con = $35
Brake Wiring. = Free
Breakaway Sw. = Free
Batter Switch. = Free
Break Buddy. = $75
Total: =$325

Attachments

• IMG_2614-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2614-compressed.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2615-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2615-compressed.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2616-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2616-compressed.jpeg
    818.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 28
You are quite handy indeed. Your tow bar adapters, I can't tell from the picture, are they just bolted to your fender. Usually tow bar BRACKETS like from Blue Ox are bolted to the frame of the car. This set up aka the brackets has to be STRONG. Some setups that bolt to the bumper will pull right off when towing something like a 5K lb Jeep.

You are quite handy indeed. Your tow bar adapters, I can't tell from the picture, are they just bolted to your fender. Usually tow bar BRACKETS like from Blue Ox are bolted to the frame of the car. This set up aka the brackets has to be STRONG. Some setups that bolt to the bumper will pull right off when towing something like a 5K lb Jeep.
The bumper is an aftermarket designed for pulling. It’s 1/4” steal plate mounted right to the frame. The brackets the adapters are pinned to are 1” thick plate welded to the bumper. It will hold.

Hello all,
I just wanted to share what I did setting up my Toad for the first time. I did ask a few questions on setup here on another thread and everyone was most helpful.
i am a DYI kind of guy with a mechanical background and I do tend to look for deals when I can.
I went out on Craigslist and Facebook Market Place to see what I could find. Taking my time I eventually found a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar In good shape. I bought it, inspected it, cleaned and lubed it. Then went online and got a Black Friday deal for tow bar adapters to fit my front bumper. I had some trailer wiring laying around and wired the Jeeps rear lights for towing. Then made a harness to go between the Jeep and RV. Purchased a new breakaway switch from Amazon using points so no cost. Found a Break Buddy online, tested it and bought it and ran power and breakaway wires to it. Also bought a manual battery shutoff switch from Amazon at no charge (points). I believe I’m ready to go.
I also made a metal cover to go over the battery switch.

Cost Breakdown:
Blue Ox Towbar = $150
Towbar Adapters = $65
7 Harness & Con = $35
Brake Wiring. = Free
Breakaway Sw. = Free
Batter Switch. = Free
Break Buddy. = $75
Total: =$325
I say "Well Done"!

Good job! I've pieced together 4 different flat tow setups on 4 different Jeeps. FYI, if that bumper does not have frame tie ins, I would highly recommend them. Most JK and newer Jeep bumpers are only attached to the 2 end plates with 8 bolts. The end plates are not designed for the constant pulling forces of flat towing. Thin metal and minimum welds.

Check the flex joint on the Blue Ox where the arms meet the portion that hooks into the receiver. This is a heavy steel piece that allows movement left right and up and down. Over time the bolt holes do tend to wear some and get egg shaped allowing for some slop. I am not sure how critical this is but worth checking

Check the flex joint on the Blue Ox where the arms meet the portion that hooks into the receiver. This is a heavy steel piece that allows movement left right and up and down. Over time the bolt holes do tend to wear some and get egg shaped allowing for some slop. I am not sure how critical this is but worth checking
Yes, I checked everything. I saw another post where one of the bolts broke and the Toad hit the back of the RV. I want to try and prevent that, so going over everything you can touch is important.
I appreciate all inputs. :)

Yes, I checked everything. I saw another post where one of the bolts broke and the Toad hit the back of the RV. I want to try and prevent that, so going over everything you can touch is important.
I appreciate all inputs. :)
I did have one of the pins that hold truck to Blue Ox snap and the truck tried to pass me. The cable and other arm held everything solid and we got over to the side OK. Enjoy! we like our Blue OX and Brake Buddy.

Latest resources

Back