Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Can I safely tow my Jeep JL with an after market bumper???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jamdozer57

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Coachman
RV Model
Freelander 31 MB
RV Length
Chassis
E-450 Ford
Engine
6.8L V10
TOW/TOAD
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Fulltimer
No
Hey guys, trying to find an answer to "Can I safely tow my Jeep JL with an after market bumper" ? I am getting mixed answer from the Jeep dealer, RV Dealer and multiple online sources. I would like to install an after market bumper and use the D-ring location, that are welded to the bumper, to install the tow bar. Having said that I have contacted a couple of after market bumper manufatures and can't get a yes or no answer. The Jeep dealer said it should be okay. RV dealer said after market bumpers are not built for for flat towing and I would need to install a "tow bar base plate" to safely flat tow my JL... I would prefer to replace the current factory bumper and know that I can safely flat tow my Jeep...HELP

Doubt you'll get anyone to give you the OK since nobody wants to accept the liability of a setup that has not been tested and certified for that purpose. I'm afraid you're on your own here in accepting that liability.

Check out Rock Hard 4x4 - BUMPERS / TIRE CARRIERS. Their Patriot series bumpers are rated for flat towing. I just installed the aluminum full width bumper on my JKU. Rather than towing from the D-Ring shackles, you will install tow bar brackets on the bumper that bolt through the frame. They make these for Roadmaster, Blue Ox and Reese. I use the D-ring shackles for the safety cables.

Besides Rock Hard, I believe there is one other manufacturer that makes an after market bumper for flat towing but I went with the Rock Hard bumper.

Myself and several other rv friends tow our jeeps products (Gladiators, JL & JK) with aftermarket bumpers that are listed as good for towing. You just need to fined the one you like.

"Can I safely tow my Jeep JL with an after market bumper"
Absolutely YES! The caveat is the aftermarket bumper must be built for towing. I found a Smittybilt winch bumper on sale for $199. An email to Smittybilt customer service with bumper part number confirmed that I could use it for towing my Rubicon. The Roadmaster D ring tow bar adapters are P/N 035-1 (they fit Demco tow bars too).

Not all aftermarket bumpers are a direct fit so there's cutting and drilling involved. A direct fit bumper should be part of your search criteria. The Smittybilt bumper I found is a direct fit. I was able to remove the OEM bumper, added my winch to the new bumper and had it bolted on in less than 90 minutes.

Attachments

• AAA 2023-07-31 092628.jpg
    AAA 2023-07-31 092628.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 9
After spending much of the morning calling multiple suppliers, 4X4 shops, bumper manufactures and waiting on hold for quite some time I finally received an answer to “Which bumpers are “Tow Rated”. There are only a few (3) manufacturers that list their bumpers as “Flat Tow Rated”. I contacted Extreme Terrain Off-Road Outfitters, and they made several calls while I was on the phone with them to verify that the bumper, I wanted was tow rated. Well, it was not but they were able to find several in their inventory that were. I purchased a Rough Country Full Width Bumper P/N JG 5490. This bumper is considerably less than other manufacturers tow rated bumpers. Hats off to Extreme Terrain Off-Road Outfitters customers service…

Now on to securing a tow bar, braking system and wiring…

Thanks to all for you input…

Hopkins makes direct fit plug 'n play wire harnesses for Jeeps, complete with diodes. Last I saw, the price was under $50. There's a few other brands but they require cutting & splicing.

Latest resources

Back