• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Share your Starlink RV install and experiences

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I will add to my last post that dropping this thing on it's head aside, one of the things I noticed is that these things just aren't made to be moved etc. There is a known problem of bad connections with the ethernet connectors and the dish definitely feels like it's not built in a way that expects the user to be putting this thing up and down regularly. I'm expecting us to see a much larger failure rate for Starlink in the RV community than in the homeowner one. I'm working on deciding how I'm handling on my wiring to permanently have all connections done. The goal is to open my storage bay, pull dishy out and that's it, I don't want to play with these connectors more than I have to.

Agreed and I hope we'll actually see a more portable friendly setup WITH 12V power and not requiring 120V. Something that is more sturdy and secure in its connections. We're only at the beginning of this new venture, I'm sure we'll see frequent upgrades and improvements in the road ahead.

Like Marc, I was tempted few times to put the dishy on the roof of my Honda. But I know better.
Have left few items on the roof before.
On the other hand, I. Pinched the wire in the slide couple of times. One of them this morning 😬

For what it's worth........... I am using a tripod that I purchased from
They have an option to select the components you want. I also purchased the Starlink pole adapter & Ethernet adapter from the Starlink store as well as the 150' cable........ just in case.
I'm using the residential plan with roaming or whatever they call in enabled. I set up the tripod in an area that looks like it might work (minimum to no possible obstructions) & turn it on. I am a firm believer Murphy is alive & well. I try to set things up so as to minimize him impacting my life.
Have not figured out how I want to permanently run the cable. For the time being I have it run through a window (yes, I know that's tacky).
In time I feel confident the 'aftermarket' will create a variety of devices to support this product. So far, I'm really happy with the performance of the Dishy with my Peplink device.
By the way, Peplink has a Starlink webinar on 10/19.

I have a tripod as well as outlined in this post. That is what I used first here and didn't get any signal probably as it was too close to the back of my coach thinking it only needed to see northwest. When I talked to another RVer here he said it works for him so I tried again. I figured it would be easier just to put the dishy on the roof and it would be if it didn't fall out of the sling that came with something, I think the pole mount adapter, don't know. Live and learn but yes, I have options and from now on will be using the flagpole buddy or one of the tripods (king or included four leg mount).

Use this thread to share how you setup Starlink in your RV and also share your experiences in your travels and how it's working for you and anything else you care to share. Be sure to include pictures as they always help to show an install or setup.

For sharing your Starlink Internet speed tests please use the Starlink Travel Log which is just like the Cellular Travel Log.

To order Starlink for RV's click here. If you are on the residential waiting list you may need to sign out and use a different email to order as it may show Starlink not available yet in your location which is not the case for the RV orders.

Setup was as easy as it gets. It was great at first, but the last month, it’s been terrible. Barely get to a download speed of 20 during the day 🤷🏼‍♂️

Setup was as easy as it gets. It was great at first, but the last month, it’s been terrible. Barely get to a download speed of 20 during the day 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thank you, Hoofaaa, and everyone for the contributions to this thread. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger, as we travel pretty much full-time. Your post says that recently, you "barely get to a download speed of 20 during the day" . . . but that gives you plenty of speed to stream TV without any buffering, doesn't it? I currently use a couple hotspots, and there are places in which the best I can get on either of them is 4 or 5, but I can usually stream without buffering at those speeds. Are you ever unable to stream TV without buffering using Starlink?

Thank you, Ed

Hi Ed, the generally recognized industry standard is 3-4mbps to successfully stream, but the senders end can cause issues as well, so their is no guarantees at any download speed. I have had as little as 5-6 down occcasionally on the Starlink and never an issue streaming. The latency is normally a lot higher on cellular than on Starlink, and that's can also affect the streaming capability on otherwise similar "speeds" of internet connection.

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I bought the RV setup a week ago, and so far, it's working out good.

I'm looking for advice on the Starlink "Mesh". I have my router in one of the basement bays, but being in the bay is clearly costing me some signal strength inside the coach. (The floors are quite thick and well insulated on this coach.) Most of the time I get plenty of signal inside the coach, but at peak time, not so much.

My thought is to buy the Starlink Mesh, ($130), and use it inside the coach to relay the signal. I don't really want to run the dish wire in thru a window, or run a wire, or some of the very cool connectors some of you have installed . . . I have trouble making my coffee in the morning, much less setting up some of the stuff you folks do! (Besides, I have another use for the mesh - we spend 3 months in a casita next to our RV site in Gold Canyon, AZ, and I figure the mesh will allow me to use the Starlink there, instead of paying $180 for wifi coverage for the 3 months. It will pay for itself in 2 months).

Thoughts? Problems? Do any of you use the mesh to extend your signal?

Thank you, Ed

@ehochuli85 congrats on taking the plunge! These puzzles are always fun. I have no experience with the Starlink Mesh but I have run mesh wi-fi in my house so I'm familiar with them. My concern is that if the main router can't get a good signal to the mesh unit then how good is it really going to work?

Ideally it would be nice if you could get an ethernet cable run from the basement into the coach. You could then get the ethernet adapter for the Starlink setup and it could send its signal up the ethernet cable. You could then use another wi-fi router of your choosing or go with a Pepwave such as many here use.

In the end, it's not a big expense to try it out and see. Other options per above are all more expensive than that option typically.

I defer to anyone with Starlink Mesh experience and keeping in mind the barrier you describe.

P.S. I also suggest moving your Starlink router to different basement locations and see what results you have. You can still have the cables and plugs in the same place and just push wires over walls assuming that's possible like with Newmar and you may be able to find a more central and centered location.

Latest resources

Back