Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Side view cameras seem no better, and maybe worse than, side mirrors?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We thought side view cameras would be great, But now that we have them I find them annoying. I still use the mirrors. When I give a turn signal and it immediately cuts to that sideview on my camera, I feel that I've lost, not gained visible area.
For example, when merging right after passing someone, I watch the rearview camera and the side mirrors so I can tell when the tow vehicle is well clear of the vehicle I'm passing. It's disorienting to suddenly lose the rear view as the camera screen cuts to right side view when I switch on the right turn signal. The side view is already (better) covered by the mirrors. I actually would like to disable the side view cameras. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just not accustomed to them? Or maybe you have 2 screens and keep both views? (I have only one screen).

Yes, I will occasionally glance at the side view camera, as a double check, but I have been driving other vehicles with no re3ar view mirror for over a decade and a half. So I am very used to driving by the mirrors only. The side view camera may help when some idiot decides to creep by on my right, before I get a safe distance to pull back over.Many times I have been fortunate enough to just catch the roof of one of the nuts in my blind spot as I begin to pull over. Thank God I never hit one. I think this is why many truckers don't give much space anymore after passing.

I am not sure if there is a setting to change this. Check the manual, if you haven't already.

I also find the location of the video monitor to be poor and even counterproductive to safe driving. I rarely use the turn signal cams as a result.

Now, if they could figure out a way to to put the cams in a heads-up display, that might be a different story.

As AbdRahim stated, I use the side view camera only to see what is in the blind spot that my side mirror won’t catch. The rear of the coach and trailer is way too far away for the wide angle of the camera to be of any real help to know when I have cleared the vehicle on the right, as “objects in camera may be closer than they appear”.

In addition to the side camera I also check the mirror above the passenger door (that looks straight down into the blind spot under the passenger door).

Agree the side view cams are more or less worthless (angle too wide) and counterproductive when changing lanes and I could still use the rear view cam for toad clearance but I have the turn signal on, so the side view cam is on, showing essentially nothing useful, and not showing what I really would like to see. Because of this I generally wait to use my turn signal until after I can see my toad is clear in the rear view cam.

In addition to the side camera I also check the mirror above the passenger door (that looks straight down into the blind spot under the passenger door).
I would like to get one of these.

I would like to get one of these.
It is convienient to have it when the blind spots are large enough to contain an elephant.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.35.36 PM.png

Both my side view cameras are blurry for some reason. The rear is clear as a bell. I've tried cleaning the lenses but that does nothing to help the problem. Any idea what the problem is?

Latest resources

Back