Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Slide lock not fully retracted?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I don’t have a picture right now while working my other issue (post) but this morning I had an issue bringing in the FWS where the white slide lock at the top caught the edge blocking the retraction at the end. I have noticed they were not completely retracting (down) when the slide is out but to date it hasn’t been an issue. Now it is.

Has anyone replaced or adjusted these? I think based on the fact both front and rear are the same it must be the mechanism at the bottom (plunger) that needs attention.

Any suggestions?

Neal, if you have what looks like paddles at the bottom end of those slide locks, you probably only need to lube the mechanism. I spray WD40 liberally at both ends of the mechanism. Get it down inside. You should be able to manually work the mechanisms from the botttom with your hand.

I agree… I recently lubed all of mine as well. They are hard to press!

Thank you, I did that this morning as well, did see some rust up in there. We'll see how that works out over time assuming no more issues like this morning. As Newmar is taking short notice service visits and I'm in the "zone" of going there I may see if I can get in as I've seen this issue coming for a while now.

I would love to see some pics you guys of what is sticking where, I have some slide lock issues that are still trying to be sorted out, but by your descriptions I may have a different style of lock mechanism. (Or my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, either is possible).

We all use WD-40 for lubrication but it's not a lubricate. I suggest using Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.

BTW, Neal, it would help if you used that motorhome more. Motion is lotion.

I use LPS 2 and 3 - love these lubricants. Didn't know them until my airplane maintenance.

This morning it happened again but I realized I caused the spring to disconnect but they still aren't laying down properly. It seems I need new springs at least but the problem is most likely the bottom compression plunger. I'll see what Joe at Newmar parts says about getting some springs. I'm including a picture, attached, of my kitchen slide to show how it's supposed to lay down with the slide extended.

We'll see after a few cycles if the LPS 2 I flooded it with yesterday starts working its way in.

LPS 2 is great for your steps as well, which reminds me I need to lube them as it's been a while. Any metal to metal moving parts is good to lube with LPS 2.

Attachments

• IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6303.JPG
    IMG_6303.JPG
    735 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6301.JPG
    IMG_6301.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6299.JPG
    IMG_6299.JPG