Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am looking for alternate ideas for bay slideout trays that do not loose so much usable height. The ones Newmar installs are not really customized for the size of the bay, losing a lot of width and a few inches of height. For my packing, every inch matters.

I am looking for creative ideas, either custom fabricated or 3rd party that could be used to allow for better space utilization.

If you search for my post about the Dometic CF-80 install it has the provider of the slideout trays. Maybe ask them for ideas and see if they have something lower profile. Beyond that what comes to mind is what they use in cargo planes and cargo carriers which is a rolling wheel concept. You could build your own or go down that path in a search for cargo slider system and see what you can find or pioneer.

A dozen years ago we drove our Alpine to Orofino Idaho and had some really low profile sliders built & installed by a small family owned company called Slim Sliders. I looked on line and found a company with that name still in Orofino but there was no mention of rv sliders. Might be worth a call.

I would go with two half lengths trays, instead of the full length across, if I had a choice.

I would go with two half lengths trays, instead of the full length across, if I had a choice.
Yes, actually planning half only on door side. Still want more room.

@Neal has a good idea with the cargo plane concept. That is what I was visualizing.

I will check out slim sliders, and see what they have. Thanks @J&JD

@redbaron ... I am following this and hope you get it figured it out so I can copy you!

FLSteve

Here is a source for sliders. Looks like the design does waste a couple of inches for the guides and bearings

I know the lips are going to require some wasted space...wonder how much more than the lip is wasted.

Early on per Neal's suggestion, I saved that data. Then we though we would sell MH. Then, reconsidered and think we might sell house, and then wait for the crash, and build new home on lot. Then we could live in MH and do some more traveling. Regardless, since many different options in works, may want to get the freezer in Neal's post, so want slide out tray.
Compounded, by the fact a friend gave me the Blackstone 17" griddle unit, and want to carry it to use, so the slide out tray makes lots more sense now, than before. I will want to use the passenger forward storage bay for these items and the pull out tray. Got lots to investigate and consider now. Glad someone else is considering this idea, great post.

Using a crude measurement from screen / pictures, it appears that 6 inches of vertical height and 12 inches of width are lost using Newmar slideout trays.

Latest resources

Back