• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Storage Bay Slide out trays - Lower Profile

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I just put a freezer in my 2016 Ventana in the front bay on passengers side. I purchase the SP56-388 Mor/Ryde Freezer Tray - 21.15'D X 35.6'W which extends 200%. I have the CFX 95dzw freezer from Dometic which fits perfect. Since my passage slide comes out 24" the freezer doesn't quite clear the slide but the top can be opened about 3/4 way. I purchased it from RVautoparts. They had the cheapest price which was about 1K less than Newmar.

I know the lips are going to require some wasted space...wonder how much more than the lip is wasted.
Ronnie,

Our Newell uses these slides and they are pretty much fully customizable for all your criteria you've listed. I'm giving you the link to my actually slides, which are electric bi-directional @1,000lb capacity. But, you can get manual, half, etc.

The problem as I see it with any slide tray is simply the mechanism. You need rails and then the slider that goes into the rails. As @redbaron pointed out this costs you about 4-6 inches in height. Then you have the width issue, my guess is you're losing 8-12 inches in width for the tray which does not go edge to edge. I actually store items like a pressure washer wand and other things outside the tray against the wall.

In my opinion, if you want optimal space, delete the tray. I'm not really sure how much I really really need one. It has been nice only for the case of my pellet grill and my dometic cooler and the cooler has a double-rail system to pull out beyond the slide when extended. Slideout trays seem to be a novelty which some assume add value. The space lost is significant, IMHO.

The floors are just wood panels I believe, I haven't checked but they may be screw down. If you could do something like a cargo plane where a level is pulled which raises the wheels then you can slide things, reverse the lever and the wheels are retracted for a non skid floor setup, otherwise everything is going to shift if on wheels.

Imagine a panel on panel concept where the rolling tray when not stowed slid in and out but when stowed actually retracts down. Not sure that would help as you'd have to have the height to raise to slide out.

I think the real decision would be is if trays really benefit your use. The only tray I see I really need is the Dometic cooler. I really should remove the slideout tray that I have in the pass through bay and see how I do without it as in my coach space is a premium as later model Newmars they improved basement height. Again, the only thing I need it for in the pass through is the pellet grill and I could probably do without that as long as I can keep from bouncing it off the door shock and bending it.

I did receive information. Here is the quoted text from the email:
The 1000 pound 70% extension in our steel slides would be model SM2-SP with a profile height of 2 7/8 inches high. The tray would sit on top of this. we offer 1/8 or 3/16 inch thick Aluminum with 2 inch lips turned up on all four sides. So with a 1/8 inch tray, your total amount of height would be 3 inches.

On our Aluminum frames, the model M2 would also have a height of 2 7/8 with the side rails being a total of 5 1/2 inches. With this model, your tray lays down inside the side rails, and a 1/8 inch thick tray would again give you a total height of 3 inches.

We have a standard turn lock on the slide which needs to be held up 1/4 turn while the slide is being operated into its outward position. There is an upgrade, the IMS spring lock, which you unlock, it does not require you to hold it while it is opening and locking into place. With this IMS slide, you are able to guide the slide to its open position with both hands.

I now need to compare this.

What Neal describes would be the thing. If I remember correctly, some slide out trays have the rails on the outside of the tray, which will cause lost width use. Putting the rails under the slide tray, decreases the lost width, but now it's lost height. A panel, about 1-2" thick, with "cargo wheels" which can be raised and lowered would be the optimal idea. Plus, on our unit, that compartment where I would put SOT (slide out tray) would be almost directly underneath the Passenger side forward LR slide, and so I would still be on hands and knees getting stuff out of it, if slide was out. Even on those coaches with higher basement, the lost height/width for me precludes having the tray as of now. Might think different if get the freezer/refer unit Neal has. If I understand correctly, it has slide out option built in????? Going to have to think this one long and hard.

Latest resources

Back