Chassis
Ford F-53
Engine
Ford Godzilla V-8
TOW/TOAD
None at this point
Fulltimer
No
Hey all, this topic has probably been beat to death, but I am going to start a new one. When does everyone extend theirs slides? I know Newmar says to extend before leveling, as long as the unit is fairly level when parked. Reading all of the blogs and self help literature, no one else seems to do this. I have seen Baystar owners level then extend slides, can anyone tell me why not level then extend. All the internet experts say this is the way to go, and we all know the internet is the resolver of all questions. ;).

The procedure depends on model and year, you should go with whatever Newmar says for your RV.

Hey all, this topic has probably been beat to death, but I am going to start a new one. When does everyone extend theirs slides? I know Newmar says to extend before leveling, as long as the unit is fairly level when parked. Reading all of the blogs and self help literature, no one else seems to do this. I have seen Baystar owners level then extend slides, can anyone tell me why not level then extend. All the internet experts say this is the way to go, and we all know the internet is the resolver of all questions. ;).
We have two slides on opposite sides. The bed room slide is small so we have extended it without leveling (usually at quick overnight spots) but the room slide is larger. Winnebago's book of words insists that the coach be level before using slides. We have always followed the rule. The coach is now 12 years old have has been used full time traveling for 8 of those years. We have never had a slide issue. I stand by leveling first for larger slides.

Darrell

I've always leveled first then extend

As stated above, depends on the coach. I’d follow the advice of the manual for your model.

Ours has us at ride height to do the slides and level after.

There is also a process to check the set of the slides before operating, as well as another statement that says if it isn’t correct then level first, check the slides, then operate if good.

It has been explained to me on several occasions that if you are fairly level when parked, extending slides before leveling jacks is OK.
However, if you extend slides before jacks, retract in the same configuration. Slides out and in with Jacks up. OR Slides out and in with Jacks deployed. Don't mix the procedures. The slides going out will take a set based on frame twist is my understanding.

We have 2018 Bay Star 3406, with three slides. In 6 years and probably almost 500 nights of camping we have done it both ways and frankly see little difference. If we level and then put out slides, I have noticed that occasionally I may need to tweak the levelness of the coach. The last couple of years we are typically slides out then level. However, we pull slides in before retracting without issues. This is usually because I’m outside and don’t want to duck under slides to cleanup. Haven’t seen binding or the reveal change on the slides boxes. YMMV.

I think it depends on the slide mechanism. I would not put any undue stress on cables or schwintek. Particularly Schwintek. Thru frame undermounts probably don't care.

Attached is the recommendation from the horses mouth. Full wall slides are what seem be critical. I always extend the FWS prior to extending jacks after I verify the reveal/gap. Bedroom slide can go either way.

Attachments

• Full Slide Letter.pdf
    301.4 KB · Views: 9
Attached is the recommendation from the horses mouth. Full wall slides are what seem be critical. I always extend the FWS prior to extending jacks after I verify the reveal/gap. Bedroom slide can go either way.
I use one other criteria. How much twist does the chassis have before deploying anything. In my experience jacks handle even slopes fore and aft well. But if I find any significant twist to the chassis I just pass on the slides and find somewhere else to park. In my experience the jacks leveling just don't handle twist aliegnment well. They seem to do fine leveling but they really have no input for twist as the sensor is right in the middle of the coach. Putting a FWS outwith leveling and twisted is really asking for trouble even with a good reveal.

At one site I did everything by the book and after leveling I found the escape door was jammed. It was not jammed before leveling and it opened easily when I retracted the jacks.

Latest resources

Back