Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jbstevens

RVF Regular
I just had a question about the battery. I took the battery out of the camper for the Winter and put it in the basement. I heard you should buy a Trickle charger for the battery? Can you explain why I need the Trickle charger and how to care for the battery in the Winter before being put back on camper in the Spring? Do I keep the Trickle charger on the battery ? And do you have any recommendations on which one to purchase? Any advice would be appreciated.

You could use a trickle charger. All it really does is keep your battery fully charged and you can just leave it plugged in. But another way is to just charge the battery once a month and store it in a cool dry place like your basement and keep it from freezing, which is what I have done for 20 years.

Would this Trickle charger work for my battery?

NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation from Amazon for $29.95​

I would think so.

I just had a question about the battery. I took the battery out of the camper for the Winter and put it in the basement. I heard you should buy a Trickle charger for the battery? Can you explain why I need the Trickle charger and how to care for the battery in the Winter before being put back on camper in the Spring? Do I keep the Trickle charger on the battery ? And do you have any recommendations on which one to purchase? Any advice would be appreciated.
While our travel trailer is here at the house, the battery is outside in a battery box on the tongue, the shore power stays connected and the converter maintains the battery properly charged.

As to removing the battery, I would make sure it is fully charged, put it in the basement until Spring. Some say to place it on a piece of plywood or shelf and not directly on a concrete floor. {Never figured out why.} If the battery is in good condition, it will maintain adequate charge such as not to be damaged. In the Spring, charge it overnight and it should be ready to go. Most of the newer technology automatic and maintenance chargers are very adequate with today's battery chemistry. If it is a lead/acid type, do check the electrolyte level before charging or storage. If it is a sealed type, it is OK as is.

For reference the open terminal battery voltage vs. % of charge:
100% charge is >12.6 volts
90 % charge is 12.5 volts
80 % charge is 12.4 volts
70 % charge is 12.3 volts
60 % charge is 12.2 volts
50 % charge is 12.1 volts
Between 11.9 {40% charge} and 11.6 {20% charge} volts, the repeated charge and discharge will shorten battery life.
At 11.3 volts and lower permanent damage will likely occur.

You don’t have to put it on a trickle charger for the Winter as long as it’s fully charged when taken out. I unhook all of mine from the end of Dec until early May. Only loose about 5% charge.

Latest resources

Back