Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mcwilliams

RVF Newbee
Hello! My husband is interested in installing some sort of guard rail to protect top of the RV components eg air conditioner/exchange, satellite, dish etc.

To me, this sounds unnecessary and likely a custom part bc I’m not seeing commercial off the shelf components that go on the top of the RV much like exist for front bumper guards.

Questions: is this an actual problem that needs to be solved? And if so, how is the problem generally or best solved?

Thanks to you all!

We have a 2015 fleetwood expedition

Just post a sticker on rear view mirror with height plus a fudge factor. Mine is 13'4" and I post 14 feet and thats my limit.
Most camp grounds have the trees cleared from low branches, not all mind you, but most.
Little precaution will safe you $$. Also make sure you use a GPS map that you can input your RV dsheight and will route you away from those. Not a 100% guarantee but pretty much unless you get off in the weeds somewhere. He's over thinking the problem, IMHO!!\
Happy Camping!!

Just post a sticker on rear view mirror with height plus a fudge factor. Mine is 13'4" and I post 14 feet and thats my limit.
Most camp grounds have the trees cleared from low branches, not all mind you, but most.
Little precaution will safe you $$. Also make sure you use a GPS map that you can input your RV dsheight and will route you away from those. Not a 100% guarantee but pretty much unless you get off in the weeds somewhere. He's over thinking the problem, IMHO!!\
Happy Camping!!
Appreciate the tips and the perspective!

Never seen a guard rail, but we have a small antenna on each side of the coach that is a few inches taller than anything on the roof.
Those antennas sit within a larger plastic loop that makes a rattling noise when they bump something.
These have been great indicators for us when inching forward under branches or a questionable overhang.

I've noted some late model higher end big coaches have sort of false walls on the sides. They make the sides of the coach look taller but the effect I see is that they very effectively hide the various vents, AC units, antennae, etc on the roof. I've admired the look. No idea how one would DIY something like that. I think a newer Monaco, maybe a Marquis, might be one you could look up to see what I'm talking about.

The false walls on the sides - IF you did something like this, be sure you work out how things drain.
Our coach has the passenger side awning mounted on top, creating that wall on top. Then we have the false wall on the driver side to make it match the passenger side.
But we don’t have drains on the sides. All water goes to the front or back.
We also have a fiberglass roof, not a rubber membrane.

Guard rails just means you'll tear bigger holes in the roof when you hit a limb etc.

What would be useful would be expanded metal guards over skylights to protect from hail or better yet, no skylights.

One thing you might consider is to never arrive at a campsite at night😀

Latest resources

Back