Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
After 8 months I’m finally on the road again. Decided to head to the airshow in Oshkosh, WI as I’ve done the past few years. I have to be back by Labor Day so time is limited so destinations are limited. Made it to my usual stop in Milton, WV and all was green. Unusual. Something is usually wrong and needs fixed. Other than a major hoarding reorganization internally the two night stay went well.

Then the departure this morning. Yep. Here we go. RV life isn’t all joy. I pull out and get a yellow outline engine symbol. Great. I’m fearing a red light and derate next. I luckily get out of the campground and a parking lot across street I pull into and dive for the regen trip connector. Nothing. Okay. Call 1-800-FTL-HELP. Quick answer but got disconnected. Call back, different agent and she helps me with the code which is the ECM got a low voltage hit on the DEF doser. I had this a few years ago and it cleared after 4 engine cycles so I drive on.

Now 3 hours in and crossed into IN I get a yellow check engine light. Luckily an exit is near and I pull off and to the side of the road and right near an entrance to a campground but that’s moot. I call FCCC again several times between 12:30 and 1’ish and no agents available. I tried the regen plug again and nothing. So I pull my diesel laptops scan tool and as I type a regen is running and check engine light is out. I wanted to do a regen after sitting for 8 months but didn’t. Let’s see if it manages itself. Maybe it’s bad DEF. It was stored full.

Codes attached but I’m still waiting for a call and for the REGEN to complete. It could be some time. Any help with the codes is appreciated.

I’m too old for this!!!

IMG_6290.jpeg

Fortunately I knew where my diesel laptops tool was but couldn’t remember where my DEF bypass simulator was - found it. Keeping them together now. Hoping the REGEN works.

If it's not one thing it's another. BTW, you don't know what old is you young whipper snapper.

Sorry to hear. Our summer trip also went sideways before getting out of the park, tried to keep going and after getting under 500 miles in and 10 days sitting in NIRVC Atlanta's repair shop, we turned around and took it back to home base. Summering in FL for the first time, and so far it has been doable. Had to laugh when we heard from our friends in the north east that were having hotter weather recently than we were having in S FL. Some trips are just not meant to be I think.

Well that just sucks Neal. If your DEF bypass isn't around, or doesn't work, you might try this.

Actually, just clamping off the hose on the side that feeds into the DEF header will work just as well, and a whole lot easier to do too!

I'm happy to report I was able to resolve the issue thanks to @Rich W. getting me to buy a Diesel Laptops Handheld. Without this my day would not have had the same result and I'd likely be stuck, towed, and out a lot of money and all plans destroyed. If you don't have one of these, in my opinion, it is a MUST HAVE.

This is a beautiful sight (no lights):

IMG_6295.JPG

So the events that transpired. I got a call back from Freightliner Custom Chassis, same gal I spoke with in the morning and she looked up the new code, related to the check engine light, and it was a derate. I asked why, she said probably because of the other code not being cleared and still present for the 3 hours of driving. Well, this is the second time I've had this issue, last was in 2018 I believe and it's something that auto clears in 4 engine on/off cycles. If that is the case, I would have appreciated the guidance to not drive but instead cycle the engine start/stops to get it to clear and then leave. But I'm not sure it's true, it wasn't mentioned last time, it was just said it will likely go away.

I used the Diesel Laptops Handheld to perform a forced regen, but I don't think it had anything to do with the situation but I'm obviously sensitive to it from the Breckenridge derate I experienced a year or two ago. I put out the batman spotlight in the sky to @Rich W. but didn't need the phone call, I wasn't sure if it was going to end on its own or if I needed to stop the regen, it did end up stopping right at about the 1 hour mark and then gave some message there were other problems it couldn't clear. Hmmm, okay. Ohh, once I started the regen the check engine light went out!

IMG_6291.JPG

I tried putting a call into Diesel Laptops to see how to do the regen because it's odd that the page you do it on says it's "testing" - well is it testing or actually doing it, seems it was actually doing it and I ended up waiting for a tech support agent and then it went to voicemail. Meanwhile I found what I needed in a google search, sort of, but it worked.

After the regen was where the gold is and why this tool is a must have! It clears the codes. If you can't clear the codes then you're not going anywhere. But first I used the scan tool to READ the codes and the nice thing is instead of those SPN numbers it actually tells you in plain English (images attached) of the problem. So I then cleared the codes but my engine outline didn't go away, hmmm, why not? So I then did two engine on/off cycles, one minute in between, and it went out. I sped out of there, got on the Interstate, and no derate and no further issue (so far) and made it to the campground.

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

I'm convinced these things need to have at least a 300 mile trip with an overnight every 3 months or so to keep everything happy. Glad you got the issue worked out. After seeing the price on that tool, I'd love to have one, but...🤑

Can't read it @Rich W. - and please post to the Cummins forum when you get a chance so we can see what you found.
Trying to get a better image but unfortunately it is only for 6.7 engines. I’ll,
post it on the Cummins forum.

Edit 7/17: For those interested or curious, here is the letter from Daimler concerning the 2017-2021 6.7 emissions warranty extension:

IMG_3511.png

IMG_3512.jpeg

Last edited:
oh crap... Looks like a very expensive scan tool is in my future.,

I have the old analog DEF head...so, maybe...fingers crossed...I don't have these episodes..

Glad you got the bad lights to go away Neal!!! That's an awesome recovery.

Here is the one I carry. Does forced regen as well.

Along with that, I spoke with the tech at Gaffney with regard to these things sitting for a while. His response was to start monthly and let warm up along with taking them out for a drive every two months. Just his opinion based on his knowledge but it is my new process when parked for a while.

I have the Ancel heavy duty truck scanner. Not as fancy (or expensive) but is a life saver when you need to pull codes. It doesn't do regen but I'm pre def so I don't really need that feature.

If you are doing anything yourself and not just one of those guys who's toolbox is a credit card, they are well worth having onboard.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back