Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Make sure your phone is connected to it so it can get live traffic info. TWICE today it detected road closures and re-routed me automatically. None of us driving big rigs wants to come up on a road closure sign with little room to turn around, yeah, I did that once, not fun. 28 point turns = no fun!

First one was the road from the campground this morning to the interstate - re-routed!

Next was a highway closure, wow, but I'm guessing if I did some planning with google maps it probably would have picked this up. But who plans??

Very pleased - thank you Garmin!

gps.JPG

closure-1.JPG

closure-2.JPG

Amazon product ASIN B09ZK4LN92

Traffic jams are the only time people socialize on the road.

Read on Facebook last night in a Tiffin group, someone complaining about it being the second time Google Maps had brought them down a road to a low bridge, and how hard it was to turn around when they have a tow vehicle. As you can imagine, most responses were "get a Garmin"...

Google maps does not use vehicle parameters, not something I'd use in my RV for routing. Only thing I use is a navigation system which both my Garmin RV 890 and Pioneer AVIC NEX dash radio do for me.

There are a number of resources for low bridges

here is another one

Google maps does not use vehicle parameters, not something I'd use in my RV for routing. Only thing I use is a navigation system which both my Garmin RV 890 and Pioneer AVIC NEX dash radio do for me.
Ditto, and 9 out of 10 responses that guy got was "Google doesn't route for RVs" and then most recommended Garmin, some that he update and use his in dash.

I should have shown my Garmin more respect today. Headed out at 6am this morning to bring it to a diesel shop to get shocks swapped out (aborted, but that's another story). My wife was following me in her car, so we didn't bother trying to hook up the Jeep in the rain, but she wanted to tag along in case something came up and we had to leave it.

About 1:40 into the drive, 20 minutes from the shop, Garmin tells me the road ahead is closed, and wanted to take me on a detour that would get me their at 8:22, when minutes earlier, my ETA was 7:57. I called my wife and asked her if Google was showing major traffic road closure. Nope, it had some yellow, that was it.

I pass the detour it wanted to send me on, thinking that Google was more up to date on "live" and maybe it was old info since I hadn't updated maps in a while (later I realized from another popup, it was it's live traffic service).

Bottom line, we spent 30 minutes waiting to get by an accident. Looked like a high speed head on or more like a T-bone, where one car wasn't even recognizable as a car anymore. They eventually started letting traffic go in the north bound lanes, alternating north and south traffic, like at a construction site.

Guess I should have given my Garmin more love and respect than I did this morning.

Oh yea, wound up getting to the shop around 8:30, so the detour would have been a little quicker.

I use my atlas all the time. Trust but verify.

We have the Garmin for routing, RV Life for planning that we send to the Garmin. Also have the phone tied to the Garmin for life traffic and rerouting if needed.

Wife keeps Waze, google maps, Apple Maps, and our paper map book from FMCA up all at the same time for validation.

Can’t have too many resources to verify 😀

Latest resources

Back