• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Time to buy tires

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Richpatty, I feel your pain. Still trying to find out why my steer left just blew out with no appearance of issues. I always do a walk around, but it occurred to me (after the fact) that I do not crawl under the rv to look at the backside of the tires. (Really couldn't anymore if I wanted to). DUH. I just bought a semi rigid bore scope for my phone to be able to look over the blind side of the tires from now on. I am picturing something like yours is what did mine in. My date code was 0118, so on a 2020 build I was on 2yr old tires before it ever left the factory in April of 2020 to the original buyer. Not a happy camper right now either, but getting slow progress from the FL shop on the repairs. I am happy for you that you were able to catch it before it caused an accident and damage.

Thanks Scott. I really feel I am lucky that this did not end up much worse. It has me and my better half a bit rattled as I am so particular about my tires. It shows that no matter how good you are, a blowout can happen...especially on the front. It makes me wonder, why only on RVs? And I know of two other RV'rs who have had front blowouts, one of which had so much damage, it took nearly a year to repair. It makes me feel like this is way too common. Is it too dangerous to own an RV? We are working through these thoughts now as we figure out who can replace the tire in the driveway...should be do-able. Not sure what the lead time will be.

I hope you can get back on the road soon.
OH - I like the idea of the semi rigid borescope...Putting it on the list to get! It is hard to get under the rig to look at tires. And if I sell the RV, I can always use it around the house.
Rich

@Richpatty.....I have been paranoid on the tires since we blew out the 2 patio side rears 18 months ago due to the valve stem extension recalls with FL. I had just gotten comfortable again this year with tires and my front blowout happened on our first day on the road again after taking most of the summer stationary. Give yourself and your better half some time to process, I think we have both learned a valuable lesson and if it was just tires and damage its repairable. I for one was grateful that no one was hurt as we were in afternoon drive time traffic coming into Albuquerque when I started spraying rubber and fiberglass all over the two lanes of highway. Equally grateful I was able to keep it from rolling over in the median, but it was razer close on that part. I have since read elsewhere that many of the RV crowd advocate for replacing steers every 2 years, and moving the old ones back into the rotation or to the tag. I have no tag but I am thinking I would rather go through that expense then the repairs and downtime for the repairs. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I am getting 6 new tires while its in for repairs and will abandon the 5 year old 19k mileage tires (or less) that I have currently for the peace of mind. Again, my 2 cents for what thats worth.

I really feel I am lucky that this did not end up much worse. It has me and my better half a bit rattled as I am so particular about my tires. It shows that no matter how good you are, a blowout can happen...especially on the front. It makes me wonder, why only on RVs? And I know of two other RV'rs who have had front blowouts, one of which had so much damage, it took nearly a year to repair. It makes me feel like this is way too common. Is it too dangerous to own an RV?

Great question - why does it seem that tire blowouts appear to be more prevalent around RVs than other vehicle types?
Like Rich and many others here, I am very careful about checking tires every day when traveling in the RV, especially the steers. Will drop down on the ground and visually look at the inside of the steers too.

As I have read and listened to people’s stories over the years I have 2 observations:
- RV tires are not used regularly enough and that flexing motion seems to have beneficial properties to tire life
- I have not yet seen any empirical data around incidence of tire blow out on RV vs semi trucks

As an example, the other day I had a conversation with a gentleman who had an opinion that any tire over 5 years old is at end of life. When I asked why he thought this when Michelin has a stated life of 10 years, he shared that he worked in the auto trade for most of his career. And shared 2 stories of cars that had blow outs when the tires were around 7 or 8 years old.
His stories reinforced what one of my above theories, that lack of use contributes to short life. In his stories these tires had VERY low miles, on of them was only 2,000 miles at 8 years old.

I am not sure yet how frequently tires should be getting exercise, but it sure seems that it isn’t enough for many RVs.

Moral of the theory: drive safe, be cautious and travel more!

Remember, we only hear the bad stories (about anything) and not the good ones. What are the real statistics? How many thousands of tires are out there (on RV's) and how many of those are experiencing a failure? Same with cars, trucks, etc. It happens, but what is the real statistical value of this event? (reaching for optimism...)

Great question - why does it seem that tire blowouts appear to be more prevalent around RVs than other vehicle types?
Like Rich and many others here, I am very careful about checking tires every day when traveling in the RV, especially the steers. Will drop down on the ground and visually look at the inside of the steers too.

As I have read and listened to people’s stories over the years I have 2 observations:
- RV tires are not used regularly enough and that flexing motion seems to have beneficial properties to tire life
- I have not yet seen any empirical data around incidence of tire blow out on RV vs semi trucks
I agree on the tire usage thought…which I have always driven my RV at least every month for 40-50 miles, even between trips to keep everything happy…. I have been doing this since getting my first MH in 2006. Maybe that’s why I have not any issues until now….

@Neal, I agree about hearing more bad news than good news, but have heard more bad tire stories lately and it bothers me. I guess if we continue to RV, we will have to rotate out the steer tires much more frequently…. Like 3 to 5 years?

Thanks all!
Rich

It is my belief and practice to rotate tires at reasonable intervals to not only help wear patterns but also have them inspected for signs of problems by a knowledgeable “professional “.

It is my belief and practice to rotate tires at reasonable intervals to not only help wear patterns but also have them inspected for signs of problems by a knowledgeable “professional “.
I believe Gaffney at annual service pulls the tires and inspects...I go to Gaffney annually religiously. I would assume other vendors do the same. I don't believe they are rotated and I'm not sure that is a good practice on a motorhome (with tag?), open to opinions on this. Otherwise you may lose track of tire age, i.e. where are my fronts now? Steer and Drive axle wheels are different, I think steer and tag may be interchangeable.

To your Point Neal. Here is a discussion about why a rotation might not be necessary

Ordered Centramatics for all three axels as I will be having Motorhometires.com come and install either 2 (front) or 6 (all but tag) in my driveway. It will be cheaper per tire if I do 6. I will be buying Toyos.

The plan would be then to go to NIRVC Atalanta to have them put Rettrobands on the tags and have them swapped to the front. I may have the last 2 tires shipped to NIRVC if the price difference is significant.

Stay tuned….
Rich

Latest resources

Back