Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ScottnBrandy

RVF Regular
So just to update anyone who has followed my other posts we no longer own the monstrosity nightmare. Were completely upfront with all the issues, etc and a retired carpenter wanted to redo it for himself. We didn't get back all the money we had in it but we're satisfied with what we did get. Anything is better than nothing right.
Well now that we've taken care of that we're in the market for something else. This time however we're a little smarter and going to a dealer. We've been approved for financing etc and have been in to look at inventory. We think we have narrowed it down to a 2014 Cruiser RV Shadow Cruiser 195WBS or 2012 Heartland Prowler 20PRBS. Any experiences, opinions, etc on these would be greatly appreciated.

When buying a pre-owned RV from a dealer, you should still hire an independent RV inspector to go over it. The key word here is “independent.” That means you finding the inspector and not relying on one the dealer recommends. It also means to take a dealer’s claim that they have “gone over the RV thoroughly (or, “with a fine-tooth comb”) with a grain of salt. You want an evaluation from an inspector not affiliated with the dealership.

TJ

Just keep the proper perspective purchasing any RV that is several years old from any dealer. It is nothing like purchasing a used "certified" vehicle. There will be things go wrong and it will no doubt need repairs no matter if you pay to have someone inspect it or not. Of course even if you were buying a new unit chances are it could end up back in for repairs numerous times during the first couple of years.

I haven't taken mine back to a dealer yet for warranty repairs but that isn't because they are not needed, it is because I can't find a dealer who can get me in to handle the repairs. Therefore I am in the process of doing my own warranty work. Ahhhh......the wonderful life of an RVer. Good luck.

@ScottnBrandy, glad to hear you got out of it without taking too much of a loss and that it hasn’t discouraged you all from continuing.

I would agree with TJ’s advice. You still want an independent inspection from an RVIA certified inspector that you source, and you are paying. Run away from anything a dealer won’t let you have independently inspected. A good dealer looking to make an honest sale might even be willing to knock the inspection fee off of your final purchase price when you show them a receipt.

I will look into an inspector. So far I'm kinda looking at the dealers as used car salesman lol. We had one show us a fixer upper but that was an automatic no mainly because the outside seams were separating in spots. Just not something we feel comfortable with. Had another suggest a 15 yr loan but we had already decided no longer than 5. Just talking it slow since jumping in was a disaster

Just a comment on the financing part of that. Terms can always be chosen by the buyer. We always ask the lender for the longest term for the amount financed. Then before settling and printing docs, we can shorten the term. We work with several lenders and none offer terms shorter than 60 months. It's just the way it is.
REMEMBER - REMEMBER - REMEMBER - even with a 144 or 180 month term loan, paying additional each month or in lumps, there is generally no penalty paying off early. None of our lenders charge a fee or penalty for early or additional payments. It is NOT a contract to make 180 payments, its a contract to pay the borrowed money back. The term only sets the minimum payment.
With a simple interest loan, you only pay interest on the declining balance for as long as you have the loan. Getting a 180 month term and paying it off in 60 months or less saves a bunch of interest.
Let me know if we can help with anything.
Thank you,
Ken

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back