• Commercial/Vendors welcome

What is the best way to tow a vehicle?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a C class and trying to figure out the best and safest way to tow a vehicle.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
What vehicle are you planning to tow, and what is the hitch rating (weight capacity) on your motorhome?

Do you already have a car? Is that car recreational towable (check owners manual)? That would be my first check. If it is, how? That may lead you to your first answer. If not, investment will need to be made. Some will be able to afford purchasing a new car specifically to tow in a certain manner. This gives you the price of the car and then the towing system costs to consider. Others will seek out a used vehicle already set up for use as an RV toad, keep the costs down and buy a proven product.

As in most things RV, there are strong opinions in all directions. You have to determine you own threshold for pain.

We started with a Gas Class A. We already had a "spare" front wheel drive car we could dedicate to using as a tow. We went with a dolly. After a year of setting up the car on the dolly, we purchased a Chevy Colorado once verified it could be recreationally towed 4 wheels down. We then had the price of the truck, plus the near $5K in towing set up. We knew we were moving in that direction and planned for it.

When we shifted to the DP, we just kept the same set up. The new coach is factory supplied with air supply for AF1, but current system (Invisbrake) functions fine.

Looking back, I realize that sticker shock drove some early decisions in our RV journey. Gasser over DP initially, and dolly over 4 down. Experience gained on the road facilitated the shifts we made in equipment.

As the Cajun Ninja says; " you do you"

Enjoy, see ya on the road.

j

Do you already have a car? Is that car recreational towable (check owners manual)? That would be my first check. If it is, how? That may lead you to your first answer. If not, investment will need to be made. Some will be able to afford purchasing a new car specifically to tow in a certain manner. This gives you the price of the car and then the towing system costs to consider. Others will seek out a used vehicle already set up for use as an RV toad, keep the costs down and buy a proven product.

As in most things RV, there are strong opinions in all directions. You have to determine you own threshold for pain.

We started with a Gas Class A. We already had a "spare" front wheel drive car we could dedicate to using as a tow. We went with a dolly. After a year of setting up the car on the dolly, we purchased a Chevy Colorado once verified it could be recreationally towed 4 wheels down. We then had the price of the truck, plus the near $5K in towing set up. We knew we were moving in that direction and planned for it.

When we shifted to the DP, we just kept the same set up. The new coach is factory supplied with air supply for AF1, but current system (Invisbrake) functions fine.

Looking back, I realize that sticker shock drove some early decisions in our RV journey. Gasser over DP initially, and dolly over 4 down. Experience gained on the road facilitated the shifts we made in equipment.

As the Cajun Ninja says; " you do you"

Enjoy, see ya on the road.

j
Great comments OB:
The sticker shock on a lot of things associated with the RV life style decides decisions. I went the same route you did. There are some things that to fit YOUR RV life style are just WORTH the price of admission.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for it. It can be the purchase of a new MH, braking system, Toad, TPMS Systems, Tow bars, and a million other things.

If you really want to listen, good people will tell you. If you don't as they say YOU will learn the hard way.

Regards

HH

Forget it! Just rent a car from Enterprise when you get there. Not worth the extra fuel and lack of performance as you drive. Just not worth all the hassle.

Forget it! Just rent a car from Enterprise when you get there. Not worth the extra fuel and lack of performance as you drive. Just not worth all the hassle.
Good Luck trying to rent a car these days. Never mind having to travel to the rental station, returning the car to the rental station. Talk about a PIA. Better to bring it with you.

HH

Enterprise brings the car right to your camping spot. All ready have one reserved for a trip to Vegas in September. Even get an ex-military discount.
I'd hate to guess the rental charge for the 6 months I spend in florida.

I have a C class and trying to figure out the best and safest way to tow a vehicle.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Flat tow, or Trailer tow?
Again, A lot of people will say "what are you crazy"? Having done both, and also having pulled double trailers up to 85 feet in length I say
NO, DO NOT FLAT TOW!!!
WHY???

1. You can not back up Flat towing.
This is always a problem due to
A wrong turn
Setting up at the campsite
Maneuvering at the gas station
Didn't quite make a tight corner
Accidently on a dead end road and unable to make a sweeping U turn
And the list goes on
2. Fuel mileage is better towing a good trailer ( like maybe over 1 MPG better, and at 5 to 10 MPG * 1 MPG equals 10 % to 20% lower fuel cost)
3. You can carry extra stuff on the trailer
Bikes
Kayak
Other toys
Your mother in law :sneaky:
4. To those who say "well yah, but what do you do with the trailer when you get to your destination?"
1 This is rarely an issue, just park it (hooked up or unhooked beside the motorhome) on your camping site
2 Have to park it somewhere else, Park it there using the motorhome or, that Ranger, you have a hitch on it? use the Ranger to park it away from your campsite. (I have found that during the course of my average 7 month summer trip I might need to do this once or twice)

Side note on Trailering you car vs flat towing.

Flat tow set up

Tow bar and tow car parts and pieces $1,000 to $1500
Tow car Brake system $800 to $1800
Installation and electrical set up $$200 to $1,000
Total cost of flat tow system ? $2,000 to $4,300

Cost of flat bed tow trailer? $1,800 to $3,000

Value of flat tow system used? Zero to $500 on resale,
Value of flat bed tow trailer May actually go up in value!!!!

So as you can see, towing car, truck, other stuff on trailer can be much more cost effective.

Johnnie

Flat tow, or Trailer tow?
Again, A lot of people will say "what are you crazy"? Having done both, and also having pulled double trailers up to 85 feet in length I say
NO, DO NOT FLAT TOW!!!
WHY???

1. You can not back up Flat towing.
This is always a problem due to
A wrong turn
Setting up at the campsite
Maneuvering at the gas station
Didn't quite make a tight corner
Accidently on a dead end road and unable to make a sweeping U turn
And the list goes on
2. Fuel mileage is better towing a good trailer ( like maybe over 1 MPG better, and at 5 to 10 MPG * 1 MPG equals 10 % to 20% lower fuel cost)
3. You can carry extra stuff on the trailer
Bikes
Kayak
Other toys
Your mother in law :sneaky:
4. To those who say "well yah, but what do you do with the trailer when you get to your destination?"
1 This is rarely an issue, just park it (hooked up or unhooked beside the motorhome) on your camping site
2 Have to park it somewhere else, Park it there using the motorhome or, that Ranger, you have a hitch on it? use the Ranger to park it away from your campsite. (I have found that during the course of my average 7 month summer trip I might need to do this once or twice)

Side note on Trailering you car vs flat towing.

Flat tow set up

Tow bar and tow car parts and pieces $1,000 to $1500
Tow car Brake system $800 to $1800
Installation and electrical set up $$200 to $1,000
Total cost of flat tow system ? $2,000 to $4,300

Cost of flat bed tow trailer? $1,800 to $3,000

Value of flat tow system used? Zero to $500 on resale,
Value of flat bed tow trailer May actually go up in value!!!!

So as you can see, towing car, truck, other stuff on trailer can be much more cost effective.

Johnnie
Best to not tow at all. Get a motorcycle or rent a car from Enterprise. Just not worth the expense and hassle. I sold my toad and never looked back. Enterprise even delivers my car to the campsite.

Latest resources

Back