Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Answered What is the thickness of a Newmar wall, inside to outside?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RandyB

Retired
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
In a separate thread I was asking about adhesive recommendations for sticking an aluminum track back onto an exit window. So far, there is nothing I’m all warm and fuzzy with.
Replacement glass is made from solid gold, apparently. $904 from Newmar. It appears that replacing the entire window assembly is the only means for peace of mind. $210 and it has a screen!
I have the rough opening dimensions for a typical exit window from RecPro. The height is OK, but the hole will need widening by 1 5/8”. That’s no big deal. Easy enough.
For a complete picture of what I’m needing to order, I need to know the wall thickness. Is it safe to assume that all late model Newmars have the same wall thickness?

Does anyone know for sure the wall thickness dimension? Outside skin to inside panel.

2017 Ventana LE 4037, bedroom window, drivers side, in the full wall slide.

The moment I posted above, I realized I could rig up a caliper and a block to measure the thickness without disassembling anything. It turns out that 2 9/16” is the answer. Here’s my rigged up measuring device:
045CFBA8-3A57-4E66-9206-6D5BC8849EEB.jpeg

I don’t think you can replace the existing window with a wider one since there likely is framing on either side of the window.
The morning dew and condensation will show it.

It's pretty easy to remove the inside retaining ring of the window to see what's in the wall and see if there's enough room to enlarge. I've done it a few times, and the window never moved out of position. I'd recommend taping the window on the outside though, just in case. This is assuming you have the frameless windows in your coach.

I don’t think you can replace the existing window with a wider one since there likely is framing on either side of the window.
@Chargerman
I sure hoped you were wrong, but you were spot-on. When I removed the trim ring, it’s very evident. Then I recalled the factory tour and how Newmar uses a router to cutout the skin after it has been installed over the framing.
AADE9D20-3133-4441-B46E-870F98ED4235.jpeg
So, I’m in a real dilemma, now. Hehr out of business, Duncan/Lippert has taken over. Now negotiating, but they only want to sell complete assemblies. It’s obvious now that I MUST stay within the existing rough opening, but no one else makes such a critter especially for a 2 1/2” thick wall. Sigh…

Stay tuned and I’ll keep updating as I proceed.

Have you tried taking the glass and the aluminum track to a local glass shop. They may feel
Comfortable with a method and adhesive to re-attach it
You beat me to it.

@Chargerman & @lostinfla
Yup, that's what I'm going to do. Go back to the beginning and start over. I've made a 1/4" Lexan window to seal-up the coach as I have the glass out for evaluation and repair.

@Chargerman & @lostinfla
Yup, that's what I'm going to do. Go back to the beginning and start over. I've made a 1/4" Lexan window to seal-up the coach as I have the glass out for evaluation and repair.
What was the end result? I’m having a heckuva time with a 42x20 tear drop window replacement on my Thor Palazzo pusher. I took the window out and to a glass shop, but didn’t get the warm and fuzzies with what he wanted to do. Why are RV windows such a dang pain???

Latest resources

Back