• Commercial/Vendors welcome

2022 Newmar London Aire 4551 - RedBaron Build

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@redbaron ... any encouraging news today on your build date??

FLSteve :unsure:

None.

I have decided that I am going to do factory delivery if the build date slips past December

Hope it makes in time for a NIRVC delivery as it would be great to hear of an in-depth delivery from them
I have full faith in NIRVC to handle a delivery, and all issues that may be discovered from the build.

I have no faith in their ability to handle a coach that has been driving in Salt treated roads. Newmar has an advisory on how to handle this, which includes a full under carriage wash and treatment with an anti corrosive material. Then all bay doors must be opened and cleaned, including all latching mechanism. The engine must then be washed thoroughly, getting into all areas of the belt pulleys and attachment and then treated with anti corrosive.

The wheels must be removed to be cleaned properly, and the generator slides must be cleaned and treated.

Finally, the paint must be washed with special attention to the seams where the chrome is wrapped around the bay doors. Multiple washes are required using different soaps for each stage appropriate to decontamination of the paint and removal of all corrosive materials.

This all must be done within 24 hours of initial contact.

I asked NIRVCs scheduler about the wash procedure they follow for winter delivery and was told they do not have an undercarriage wash system. They will only do a normal wash, no different than they do for summer delivery.

This is most likely due to the fact that all of their dealerships are in areas that rarely see salt treatment and they just are not used to dealing with this.

By doing the factory delivery I can avoid the treated roads and not have to worry about this. If the roads are bad enough then I will either wait, or make arrangements for proper cleaning of the under carriage on the route, and do a full detail once I arrive home.

I have full faith in NIRVC to handle a delivery, and all issues that may be discovered from the build.

I have no faith in their ability to handle a coach that has been driving in Salt treated roads. Newmar has an advisory on how to handle this, which includes a full under carriage wash and treatment with an anti corrosive material. Then all bay doors must be opened and cleaned, including all latching mechanism. The engine must then be washed thoroughly, getting into all areas of the belt pulleys and attachment and then treated with anti corrosive.

The wheels must be removed to be cleaned properly, and the generator slides must be cleaned and treated.

Finally, the paint must be washed with special attention to the seams where the chrome is wrapped around the bay doors. Multiple washes are required using different soaps for each stage appropriate to decontamination of the paint and removal of all corrosive materials.

This all must be done within 24 hours of initial contact.

I asked NIRVCs scheduler about the wash procedure they follow for winter delivery and was told they do not have an undercarriage wash system. They will only do a normal wash, no different than they do for summer delivery.

This is most likely due to the fact that all of their dealerships are in areas that rarely see salt treatment and they just are not used to dealing with this.

By doing the factory delivery I can avoid the treated roads and not have to worry about this. If the roads are bad enough then I will either wait, or make arrangements for proper cleaning of the under carriage on the route, and do a full detail once I arrive home.
@redbaron ... I was thinking this might be the reason. Can you post a link to the Newmar advisory on how to handle this. I need to follow up on this as well.

FLSteve

These vaguely mention the process. There was a service school presentation that was much more detailed, but I am having trouble finding it right now.

Attachments

• TSB243.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 25
  • TSB253.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 27
Crap; something else to worry about with a December/January (maybe) delivery!

So is this something any RVer is supposed to do when RVing on snowy roads? Can't always know what they are treating roads with. I've used salt away but your outline sure seems extensive for winter RVing.

Salt away worked great when I was boating. Will have to look under the coach when if it arrives.

So is this something any RVer is supposed to do when RVing on snowy roads? Can't always know what they are treating roads with. I've used salt away but your outline sure seems extensive for winter RVing.
Yes, every single time.

Rvs are not protected like automobiles are. They have open square tubing that allows corrosive materials to get in, they bays are not sealed allowing the latch mechanism to be exposed. The engine accessories get an abnormal amount of exposure due to the location at the rear, as does the radiator.

The worst time to drive is when the snow is melting on contact, allowing the chemical or salts to spray up.

There is a thread by PDR John in 2014 detailing his damage in a 3 month period of driving. His business required he drive in these conditions. The corrective action was extreme, and required an elevated work area to access. He then started treating the coach with an oil treatment at the beginning of each season, which worked well..

My situation will allow for avoidance and delay to prevent traveling in these conditions

Latest resources

Back