Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
This seems to be one of my first mods to any RV. LED bulbs for headlights. For a person that always tries to arrive before sunset, it appears we are unsuccessful. Our rainy 6:15 arrival to a dimly lit campground< Jennings KOA, points out the need for brighter headlights. Nice to have on secondary roads as well.
Do the new Newmar units fuss about changing out the headlight bulbs with LED? The newer computerized CAN systems seem to be sensitive to expected draw of OEM bulbs and throw a code with some LEDs.

I think RB did a complete writeup on that some while back. hopefuly he is around and provide more detail info. from what I can remember, the LED bulbs are designed for an 'LED' headlights. The ordinary headlights bulbs are designed for their own specific headlight. This has to do with how the light is spread. You can use an LED in a regular headlight, however, the light will be spread such that it becomes an irretant for the oncoming traffic. An LED headlight will focus the brightness of the LED bulb accordingly, so it is not an irretant for the on coming traffic.

It may be better to replace the entire headlight with one designed for LED.

Other option, 'owners' should consider writting Newmar new pres. and asking if he has driven his newmar at night? If no one ever writes these people about such short comings, such problems will remain for eternity.

I've swapped Incandescent for LED on multiple vehicles. If you purchase quality LED bulbs, they are designed for the OEM headlights. I've swapped CanyonStar, Ford Flex, four different VWs, Two Passats and two Golfs.
So yes you can get cheap LEDs that are an issue or you can get ones that are designed correctly,
The ones I have purchased in the past were all $200 -300 per set but performed very well.
Some, due to onboard electronics, were more complicated install, with added electronics while most of the newer bulbs have the resistors etc. internal to provide an OEM compliant voltage consumption signal.

Just looking to see if the newer Spartan chassis electronics package has any surprises.

AND yes, I will write the Newmar President, when you are above $500k for an RV you might expect decent headlights....

Here is a good source of info Welcome to the store

Here is an example of a LED retro fit on a RV, CanyonStar in this instance

I changed mine out to the Fahren brand LED lights and liked it so much I put them in my Chevy Colorado. I drove my mother's Honda CRV last night and was so glad to get in my Colorado going home, so much brighter. I'm going to be changing hers out for Fahren's as well. I've tried various brands, absolutely love the Fahren's. Need to know your bulb sizes of course such as H11, or whatever.

Amazon product ASIN B0CLXZFXSX

thats a hell of a deal for around $40

Posted in another forum, it was noted that the DutchStar lights are from a 2008 Challenger application. Tried to read the DOT info on the headlight lense without success.

That application uses a 9005 for low/high beam bulb??

LasFit bulbs on the way....$39

I used LasFit in the past and one other. I like the Fahren's far better, much brighter whiter light IMHO.

Lights I've tried in my Ventana:
  • Cougar (LED)
  • Hikari (LED)
  • Silvania SilverStar Ultra (bulbs)
  • M4 LED - didn't fit properly, returned
  • LasFit
  • Beamtech
  • Lightening Dark
  • Fahren - all time favorite and winner IMHO

@Joe Hogan from my order list the links don't work but here are the descriptions of the ones I bought from my Ventana and then Colorado:
Notice the lumens and color temp (6500K) when you shop. Both of these are 14000 lumens, the ones I just bought for my mother's CRV, arriving today are:
The 40000 lumens is going to be interesting to see, that's quite a bit brighter than what I purchased and love!

I noticed the other night almost all cars have the white lights now meaning LED vs. the yellow "bulbs" like those in my mother's CRV.

I am aware of the study you referenced from the other forum and that's the time frame I tried various brands and back then LasFit was probably my fav until I realized I didn't like them and looked for something else and found the Fahren's. I also changed out my headlight assemblies from reflector type to projector type, better suited for LED's.

This is a rapidly evolving technology, like computers. What was good 5 years ago (the other forum study) is probably obsolete today. What I found a year ago in Fahren may as well be the same situation, who knows, do your research, look at the lumens, color temp, and reviews. If I'm going to offer my opinion on a brand I like, you know that answer based on what has worked best for me. But it's not the only brand or only show in town. Choose what looks best for you, I'm just thrilled with what I'm using now from my install a year ago. Looking forward to what you find.

Latest resources

Back