Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I know some such as @Chuggs have done RV trips for the "bourbon trail" which I have yet to lookup. Now that @GlampDaddy has me interested in bourbon after savoring some of his fine secrets, I'm interesting in figuring out where to find some good bourbon locations or what this bourbon trail is.

Edumacate me!

You'll have to talk to my better half. She is the organizer.

What you do will depend on how much time you have. Folks with a time crunch may find the Limo tours a great way to go. They hit 3 or more distilleries each day with a lunch stop along the way. I would recommend anyone going to 3 distilleries to take the Limo route...have them pick you up and drop you off... cause with that much sampling - ya don't want to be driving.

We took it slower...and I still had my dedicated driver (Ronni) One or two per day. There are many to try... It is difficult to rule anythinIg out. They all have special character, history, and hospitality---even if they don't make your top shelf. So go, and enjoy. Some even treat Veterans to the tour...like Woodford.

Places we didn't get to see that I would have liked to...Bulliet, Four Rose's, and Angel's Envy.

Places we saw... Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Bulliet (bar only, reservations sold out), Maker's Mark, Limestone Branch, and I forgot a couple... we then headed to TN to see Jack Daniel's.

Great time...and will do it again probably along the way to seeing Michigan next year. It's fun to do the tours and tasting...and sure helps you decide what kind of spirit to have next to the campfire in evenings.

Please don't ask..."What's your favorite?". Yes, I have some...but from experience I can say everyone will have a different take away. I was puzzled until one of the tour guides asked who eats spicy foods? I raised my hand. He said, you won't be able to taste the sweetness in a wheated bourbon like everyone else. Finally...that made sense. Everyone goes on and on about Maker's being a wheated bourbon and being sweeter. I don't think so at all...but I know now...my penchant for hot peppers perhaps explain why I can't taste the same thing.

It's a good time, and there are side tours you can take to Churchill Downs, Cooperage, or the Louisville Slugger Museum, etc...

Lovely country and lots of honestly polite and welcoming folks along the way.

Last edited:
If you or Ronni have any suggestions for campgrounds along your route that you took I'd appreciate it, maybe must go to's vs. nice to visit?

Definitely like the area, flew my plane through here a few weeks ago, now overnighting headed to Newmar.

@Chuggs makes some very good points, so I'll just add based on our experiences. Bourbon touring is a lot like golf in that they both take time and money. We started down the 'official' Bourbon Trail and pretty soon discovered that we didn't care for it's constraints...mainly just visiting the distilleries that were part of that particular program. Our favorite tour on the Trail was Old Forester - an awesome tour experience, a great tasting and we really liked their products - but, you'll have to book your tour very early in your planning, because they sell out quickly.

The tours that @Chuggs missed should be on your agenda - Bulliet, Four Roses, and Angel's Envy (you had Angel's Envy on our coach at Hoots).

The tour that we enjoyed most was Buffalo Trace. Don't miss that experience. You'll have to book your tour early on. If you are willing to be near the front of the morning line, they do have frequent cancellations and you're likely to get in on one of those. Besides the basic tour, they offer some behind-the-scenes tours that may catch your interest. Buffalo Trace is not a part of the Bourbon Trail.

In the Frankfort area, we have stayed at Elkhorn Creek and Still Waters. Elkhorn was OK, but non-spectacular. Don't bother with Still Waters...very nice people, but the park is a loser.

In Lexington, the Kentucky Horse Park is awesome, but they don't have much in the way of hook-ups. But, the horses are spectacular! When we go again, that's where we'll stay, even though it's a bit out of the way of many of the distilleries.

Which is the best bourbon? You'll have to take it all in and decide for yourself. And tell me all about it.

When we went...we stayed at White Acres in Bardstown, and Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

We are going to try Elkhorn Park in Frankfort on our next approach.

When we went...we stayed at White Acres in Bardstown, and Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

We are going to try Elkhorn Park in Frankfort on our next approach.
Hi all - these are all great suggestions for RVing the Bourbon Trail. For some additional ideas, you might want to check out our "Bourbon and Bluegrass" GenieTrip. Create a Free Trial and you can customize it with Campgrounds and more!

I know some such as @Chuggs have done RV trips for the "bourbon trail" which I have yet to lookup. Now that @GlampDaddy has me interested in bourbon after savoring some of his fine secrets, I'm interesting in figuring out where to find some good bourbon locations or what this bourbon trail is.

Edumacate me!
We really enjoy this area, it is so pretty. Both times we have stayed at Elkhorn Creek in Frankfort. It is just average, but well located, and Buffalo Trace is there. we also toured Four Roses, and Woodford Reserve, both good. I would love to make it to Angel’s Envy. Also in the area are some of the famous thoroughbred horse farms, and they are magnificent. We made reservations at Coolmore as I wanted to see American Pharaoh, and really enjoyed it. You would not believe the luxury those stallions have. Have fun! Judy D

I'm going to have to do some planning and see if I can hit 1 or 2 or 3 of these on the way home between Newmar and VA.

Latest resources

Back