Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Should be wrapped about now

Progress update:

Woke up at 4:30 AM and checked temp and meat temp was 140, wow, didn't expect it this fast. Stupid me didn't get out of bed and when I did get out of bed later the meat temp was down to 108, the smoker ran out of pellets. It's supposed to alarm but it didn't.

I had to refire the smoker, all is good. I just checked and meat temp is 141.

I'm trying to find if I'm supposed to flip it at any time or not? I put it in fat cap up. (I realize this is the big debate online, fat cap up or down...)

I think at 165 it's supposed to come off and get wrapped after resting 5 minutes and go back in until 195-200'ish?

How do I make this last or be warm at dinner time? My fear is completing the cook too soon. I guess it can stay in the cooler and then reheat in the smoker if needed?

I'm seeing different reads on the cooler, leave in butcher paper and wrap with paper towels, I've also read wrap in aluminum foil while in the cooler?

Reading....

IMG_4618.JPG

Some basics:

1: don't trim too much
2: marinate, dry rub, season ... lots of options
3: cook low...lots of smoke. Plan 90 min per lb of smoke time.
4: smoke fat side up until brisket reaches 140F.
5: wrap in butcher paper and continue to cook until 160F
6: remove from grill, don't open paper. Wrap in a towel and place in a cooler. Seal cooler and let it rest for 1 hrs. Brisket should reach 170.
Re-read

It's a little overwhelming trying to figure out all of the various techniques. A friend sent me the attached document a year ago, brisket starts on page 32. It uses higher temps. From what I read that if you don't use a high enough temp the fat won't render and the meat will be tough. Counter intuitive such as with steaks where you don't want to overcook it.

I'm going to do 3 hours at 265 and try to get the temp up, I just flipped and spritzed it. Do one hour around 11-12 at 285 then wrap it.

Objections?

Attachments

• Texas Style BBQ.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 4
I'm trying to find if I'm supposed to flip it at any time or not? I put it in fat cap up. (I realize this is the big debate online, fat cap up or down..

I think at 165 it's supposed to come off and get wrapped after resting 5 minutes and go back in until 195-200'ish?
Leave it cap side up. Yes you are correct on wrapping it and cooking it more. Once it hits 205 thereabouts into the cooler it goes. Let it sit 1-3 hours and enjoy.

Leave it cap side up. Yes you are correct on wrapping it and cooking it more. Once it hits 205 thereabouts into the cooler it goes. Let it sit 1-3 hours and enjoy.
And...keep an eye on the internal temps. Don't want to overcook it.

@GlampDaddy I must have missed the invite over to the feast. I’ll have to check my spam filter. Did you get it?

Latest resources

Back