• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Building a Small RV Park - Year 2

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
In the course of building anything, both infrastructure as well as rules must be developed. And today, I had to make a decision that I'm sure will bring mixed reactions.

Camping is an important part of growing up, and I hate to take that away from todays youth. But parents today have become quite lenient, and that has created a group of children who don't understand boundaries. And their parents don't seem to care that their children are disturbing the other guests.

It's not the kids fault, it's the parents. But regardless, the problem exists and it has to be addressed. So today, I added the following qualifier to our website and to the Deer Springs RV Park rules.

"While we strive to provide a memorable camping experience for everyone, our park is designed with a focus on the mature visitor. Children under the age of 3 are permitted, otherwise all visitors must be 12 or older."

I hate it, but the world is becoming a very rude and undisciplined place.
If it's a trend and continual occurrence certainly adjust. If this is a one off thing you're reacting to, try to wait out a season and see how things go. As mentioned above, maybe paying the campers a visit and giving them a course correction helps. The extreme is going to a 55 and over requirement as there are many of our west. I don't think you want to limit your market. But you could use a little marketing to help dissuade unwanted visitors such as describing your campground as a "Campground for a mature community and secluded camping experience in the great outdoors of North Carolina."

I get it though, the campground I'm at now is heavily "infested" and it does limit my desires to do things like go to the pool. I don't think they have an adult only pool here, I have to read the guide but today I haven't had the desire for the "energy" in the air.

If it's a trend and continual occurrence certainly adjust. If this is a one off thing you're reacting to, try to wait out a season and see how things go. As mentioned above, maybe paying the campers a visit and giving them a course correction helps. The extreme is going to a 55 and over requirement as there are many of our west. I don't think you want to limit your market. But you could use a little marketing to help dissuade unwanted visitors such as describing your campground as a "Campground for a mature community and secluded camping experience in the great outdoors of North Carolina."

I get it though, the campground I'm at now is heavily "infested" and it does limit my desires to do things like go to the pool. I don't think they have an adult only pool here, I have to read the guide but today I haven't had the desire for the "energy" in the air.
While, as I mentioned earlier, I am saddened by the decision I could totally understand and see where one would grow tired of constantly having to police people. This entire project felt like one that grew out of love for doing it and not as a formal money making venture. BTW these are all my assumptions, but I would guess to venture that I’m not far from accurate.

When one enters into such an endeavor the last thing they want is for it to no longer be a joyful one but a chore of policing people and dealing with negative folks. I can understand why drastic, line drawing rules to curb such people make sense. It is sad that many that might not be at fault will lose out from this but at the end all I care about is for this to continue being the amazing park it is with the people making it so enjoying the process.

If it's a trend and continual occurrence certainly adjust. If this is a one off thing you're reacting to, try to wait out a season and see how things go.

While I understand how this might have come to, it does sadden me that all are disqualified by the actions of some.

I have a 4 yo and an 8 mo and since joining the forum and following the original build thread, before I even owned my dp, I’ve wanted to visit.

All I can do now is wish you the best of luck and hope that one day you decide to change your policy.

Marc

Yes, it's a shame. If we could just see the future and know who/and who not to let visit.

It's similar to the 10 year rule that unreasonably keeps out many an RV that has been meticulously maintained. But many a park has factored in all the pro/cons and made the decision to embrace the rule.

As I said, the decision doesn't come easy and I take no pleasure in it. But I know my market and I've worked tirelessly to target and support that market. It's a shame that it has to be this way, but it does.

EDIT: Just for the record, none of my current visitors are the cause of this policy change. We have kids in the park today that are behaving just fine and being respectful of their neighbors. In fact, the current group is using the pavilion next Friday for their birthday party.

As Marc said, it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest. It a shame so many parents are allowing their children to adopt such disrespectful attitudes.

Last edited:
Maybe a modification that says “all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times” or something to that affect. That way you aren't turning anyone away, but just like “all dogs on leash” rules, it puts campers on notice on the front end of their stay. And if they don’t follow said rules, refer to post #240.

Maybe a modification that says “all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times” or something to that affect. That way you aren't turning anyone away, but just like “all dogs on leash” rules, it puts campers on notice on the front end of their stay. And if they don’t follow said rules, refer to post #240.
I think there may be some misunderstanding as to what has driven this decision. It's not necessary me that is having the problems, it's the client base that I cater to.

It’s important to note that camping comes in many flavors. There are those who prefer no more than a tent. There are those who want more comfort, but don’t require full hookups. There are those who don’t mind spending a few dollars more to have water, power, sewer, concrete pads, etc. There are campgrounds for adults only as well as campgrounds for Class A motor homes that are 36 feet or longer.

There are campgrounds for each of these groups, and those campgrounds cater to the wants/needs of that group. I don’t think there is any campground that can cater to all of that at once, so each must pick their target market and do their best to attract that metric. And yes, in the process, they will lose the other visitors. Not because they don’t want to provide a good camping experience, but because the wants/needs of those others is not compatible with the services that campground is offering.

My target market are those people who are often (but not always) a bit more mature and want to experience the outdoors in a camping environment with comfortably unique amenities, extreme quiet, and where the other campers are like minded. This group is often a bit better off financially and bring with them a mature mentality. They’re more interested in enjoying a quiet evening watching the moon come up and the fireflies lighting up the field. When they leave, I seldom have much to do to get the site ready for the next visitor, and things like that make it possible for me to keep pricing at a minimum.

The change of policy that excludes children under twelve isn’t because we don’t like kids. I have several myself, and several grandchildren as well. Love them all. But my target market and average visitor has raised his/her children and they are now out having fun on their own terms. They like children, but they no longer want to go camping with them. They’re not bad folks, they just want a quiet and peaceful camping experience where they can mingle with other campers of similar age.

Our park is small, and we can’t provide services to all groups, so we have to chose who is the best fit. And in the process, we have to make tough decisions. This has been one of those tough decisions, but it’s necessary if we want to continue providing the services that our target market is asking for.

Well whatever occurred must have been unpleasant and significant enough to bring you to the point of this decision. I always said you could look at the policy manual and recall with a name to go with almost every new rule.

Jim, are there any legal ramifications in such a move? I don't want anyone coming after you with some discrimination suit. Something to check into and make sure you're safe in doing what you desire.

Jim, are there any legal ramifications in such a move? I don't want anyone coming after you with some discrimination suit. Something to check into and make sure you're safe in doing what you desire.
I doubt it as there are lots of parks that are 55 an older, etc. etc. so mine isn't much different. And I've had a policy of not allowing anyone whose first name starts with "N", and so far I haven't had any issues.

But I'll check. :)

The change of policy that excludes children under twelve isn’t because we don’t like kids. I have several myself, and several grandchildren as well. Love them all
I’m glad to hear, since I still want to come visit can I drop off mine at your house, I promise they’re overall well behaved and we’ll just be down the hill ( or around the corner or whatever it is ) ;)

Hi Jim: I really understand your decision. Ten years ago I started a business out of my passion for the industry. Thankfully it has grown far beyond my expectations. But when it no longer was meaningful, or fun, some things had to change. Those changes came from the objections and actions of my clientele.

It is easy to see you guys put a lot of your heart and soul in to your park. It's your park, and if your clientele is telling you they want a quieter experience, then you have to listen to your patrons.

I know there are many campers out there with young children, and sometimes they are well behaved and a lot of times they are not. For myself I try to go to upscale RV resorts. At out age quieter is better for us. For instance the Fantasy Caravan Tour we are taking this month, 24 coaches involved out west, is all adults. No children, I never saw any disclaimer about children ages. It was a question I asked before we signed up. I just wanted to know before hand.

As you stated there are many, many different kind of RV parks, tailored to the specific likes of their campers. As always it's best to know before you go what your expectations are.

I hope things all work out for the best.

HH

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back