Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Can I tow, or should I have a slice of pizza?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
OK!
Hello!
So I am leaning towards a Class C, preferably something under 24' and more like 22', since they are much easier to park.
I would be possibly boondocking while working a full time job for now. I can park right by my job in the street.
Other option is leaving it at a KOA long-term and driving my FJ Cruiser back and forth.
I have two dogs: a 40lb or so lab mix and a 10lb or so Chihuahua/Weiner mix. When I am not home they just sleep.

Here is the question:
What weight can most Class Cs of this type tow? I have seen them towing four door Jeeps and booking a$$. I tend to take the lesser traveled rtoads and do not like speed, especially when towing.

I hate flat-towing and would prefer towing on a trailer.
I have an FJ Cruiser and a 1980 Land Cruiser HJ45 diesel pickup (they are pretty small, like a Jeep really).
I would not tow both at the same time, just one.

I would not be towing them while boondocking/working, only if traveling a long distance for other reasons.

From what I understand, the hitch weight is a big deal because now you have the weight of both the trailer and the vehicle on that hitch.
But what if there was a trailer like this...
20131118155929-671.jpg

I know this is a farm trailer, but I have seen big rigs towing similar ones with huge loads.
Couldn't one be used, maybe with a much lower stance? Wouldn't this eliminate the hitch weight?

I would think a trailer maker can weld up a frame and, instead of the tandem axles being together, they can be for and aft. Of course, there would be a pivot at the front axle to allow for turns, but that should be easy enough to do.
About the only issue I can think of is that backing up could be a pain or not very doable.

There is no tongue weight when flat towing. The tow bar pivots in every direction and all the weight of the towed vehicle rides on its own suspension. The reason most people tow that way is because its safe and easy, doesn’t add unnecessary weight, and there is no dolly or trailer to store.

Most class Cs are rated to tow 5,000lbs. Towing a vehicle on a trailer adds a lot of weight unnecessarily if the vehicle can be flat towed as a Land Cruiser obviously can, and of course then you would have considerable tongue weight. Towing on a farm trailer would be unique at best.

As for pizza, the answer is generally yes, although the use of pineapple as a topping is currently in question and a subject of great debate.

My immediate thought is that you will be WAY overweight for that small of a Class C. And, not only for weight (aka towing capacity), but braking capacity as well as overall length of trailer/toad to a <24' RV...doesn't sound like the safest setup.

There is no tongue weight when flat towing. The tow bar pivots in every direction and all the weight of the towed vehicle rides on its own suspension. The reason most people tow that way is because its safe and easy, doesn’t add unnecessary weight, and there is no dolly or trailer to store.

Most class Cs are rated to tow 5,000lbs. Towing a vehicle on a trailer adds a lot of weight unnecessarily if the vehicle can be flat towed as a Land Cruiser obviously can, and of course then you would have considerable tongue weight. Towing on a farm trailer would be unique at best.

As for pizza, the answer is generally yes, although the use of pineapple as a topping is currently in question and a subject of great debate.
Thank you.
That Land Cruiser will likely go over 5,000 pounds. :(
I agree about the pineapple, as well as other abhorrent stuff they put on pizza these days! I still prefer a simple, plain, NY style cheese pizza.

My immediate thought is that you will be WAY overweight for that small of a Class C. And, not only for weight (aka towing capacity), but braking capacity as well as overall length of trailer/toad to a <24' RV...doesn't sound like the safest setup.
Thanks! Frustrating.

I do not think a Class C will have the capacity to tow a loaded trailer. The E450 chassis has decent towing capacity. I have small Class C E450 with no slides and after doing the math I can safely tow 6200lbs. But you have to do the math. The more options and the bigger the RV gets the less it can tow. I weighed my loaded RV to determine what weight I can tow. I flat a 2dr Wrangler like it is not even there. If I wanted to use trailer in place of flat towing I would be real close to max or over.

I do not think a Class C will have the capacity to tow a loaded trailer. The E450 chassis has decent towing capacity. I have small Class C E450 with no slides and after doing the math I can safely tow 6200lbs. But you have to do the math. The more options and the bigger the RV gets the less it can tow. I weighed my loaded RV to determine what weight I can tow. I flat a 2dr Wrangler like it is not even there. If I wanted to use trailer in place of flat towing I would be real close to max or over.
Makes sense.
But if there was a trailer with the tires at the ends, thus eliminating tongue weight by acting like a flat tow, wouldn't that help? Obviously it would be more weight, because of the trailer, but since none of it is resting on the tongue, maybe that would allow for it? I figure an issue would be increase the braking capacity, especially of the trailer.

Makes sense.
But if there was a trailer with the tires at the ends, thus eliminating tongue weight by acting like a flat tow, wouldn't that help? Obviously it would be more weight, because of the trailer, but since none of it is resting on the tongue, maybe that would allow for it? I figure an issue would be increase the braking capacity, especially of the trailer.
There is very little tongue weight when flat towing. The tongue weight would be what the tow bar, safety chains and hitch weigh. The weight to be concerned with is the pulled weight of the vehicle. Flat tow is just vehicle weight plus towing set up. Trailer towing would be the combined weight of the trailer and the vehicle. Tongue weight is a separate issue and a consideration when towing a typical trailer. Your example trailer is the same as flat towing plus adding the combined weight of the trailer and the load in the trailer.

Tongue weight is the weight placed on the towing vehicle and is measured at the ball end of the trailer tongue plus hitch weight.
Towing capacity is the total weight of what the towing vehicle can handle.
A owners manual will show a rated tongue weight like 350lbs and GVCW. GVCW is everything under sun. weight of vehicle plus load. It can get complicated. Bottom line, flat tow is the lesser weight of all options.

Google CURT Towing guide. They have great info and easy to follow.

Tongue weight is the weight placed on the towing vehicle and is measured at the ball end of the trailer tongue plus hitch weight.
Towing capacity is the total weight of what the towing vehicle can handle.
A owners manual will show a rated tongue weight like 350lbs and GVCW. GVCW is everything under sun. weight of vehicle plus load. It can get complicated. Bottom line, flat tow is the lesser weight of all options.

Google CURT Towing guide. They have great info and easy to follow.
Thanks!

Latest resources

Back