• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DEF Head Failure

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm going back to what I said before, self included - the result of this saga is DEF HYSTERIA.

We are not engineers, we are not chemists. People are putting heat shields in, analyzing DEF at various temps, taking temp readings, boxed vs. bulk DEF, using a small portion of your capacity before refilling, the list goes on. The system should work as installed at full capacity of the tank. There is one manufacturer that seems to have a problem with their code in a circuit board for sensing parameters or properly sending the params at the proper intervals. As a result the RV Diesel/DEF world is going crazy. I suggest we all just calm down and use the coaches as we have been for years and be prepared for any problem as we all have to be as these machines are not overly reliable like cars. Any and every part in our "machine" regardless of manufacturer of said part can fail or have a defect. It is what it is. Stats typically tell the real story of any trending failures.

The biggest lessons learned, IMHO, are to have towing service such as Coach-net, understand the limits and what costs could be, understand there are devices that help you should you be in a location without cellular such as a satellite communicator like the garmin inReach, use your DEF however you believe is best for you but be forewarned of said DEF HYSTERIA.

Last edited:
use your DEF however you believe is best for you but be forewarned of said DEF HYSTERIA.
As you know we are seeing the same thing in the aviation community. What we are dealing with is the helpless feeling of loss of control. The machines are getting so complicated we can't repair them when they break by ourself. Then you layer on the current situation of no spare parts available even for a professional repair and these very expensive toys become paper weights. In aviation community they become hangar queens. With that much money sitting idle people get goofy, me included.

For those with the refractometer---test with cold, and then heat and test again.

This could be done in your wifes favorite cooking pot while she is shopping for oreo's and ice cream. :)
You didn't...

With that much money sitting idle people get goofy, me included.
I feel really bad for the truckers. I don't know how some of them are surviving.

This DEF problem is not new and has spurred the resourceful truckers to create a subset of Class 8 tractors, Gliders. These are néw trucks that use rebuilt engines and drivetrains from pre-emissions year trucks.
This avoids having to install any DEF or other emission equipment. A very popular option for awhile until the Government limited the number of Gliders that can be sold.

Anyone have stats, REAL NUMBERS on trucker issues? I don't see DEF going away, I think it has actually been effective for its purpose.

This DEF problem is not new and has spurred the resourceful truckers to create a subset of Class 8 tractors, Gliders. These are néw trucks that use rebuilt engines and drivetrains from pre-emissions year trucks.
This avoids having to install any DEF or other emission equipment. A very popular option for awhile until the Government limited the number of Gliders that can be sold.

During the early years of DEF and DPF in the Ford F550 the bigger problem involved the DPF. Have not seen that issue so far in these diesel pushers. In the F550 running at maximum weight the DPF would load up and not burn out completely limiting useful life to 35,000 to 50,000 miles. Talk about dealing with limp mode, nothing like a constipated DPF to give you a miserable experience with limp mode.

With the rapid growth (and improvement in technology) of electric vehicles, how long will it be before someone comes up with an EV conversion for motorhomes? No DEF worries there!

The University of Nevada-Reno already has an EV bus conversion on the road.

Somebody’s going to make a bundle of bucks with this. Since I suggested it here, I’m expecting a cut of the action. ;)

TJ

For those with the refractometer---test with cold, and then heat and test again.

This could be done in your wifes favorite cooking pot while she is shopping for oreo's and ice cream. :)
I'm telling!!!!!!

OFF TOPIC - SORRY - Wow, just read an interesting article about EV Cars, Oregon, charges them an additional registration fee, since they don't fill up as it were. Plus, they are 1000 lbs. heaver than the comparable model powered by fossil fuel. Hence, the tires and brakes wear out quicker, and put more bad particulate material into atmosphere, which is a whole lot worse than the pollutants from a fossil fueled vehicle. There is still something bad in brake pad dust, that is in the air as we travel, keep cabin filters changed often.

Additionally, anyone may design, and build a EV Motorhome, all well and good for those who wants them. However, currently (and has been since I scheduled the Intertie over 37+ years ago), the electrical generation and electrical transmission capacity on the west coast, and also across this land, is woefully inadequate to power a fleet of EV's at a ratio of 25-40% saturation. Crap, CA cannot now nor when I scheduled the energy to ship down to them have enough capacity to power the then and now current electrical usage. Figure it out, EV's are never going to replace conventional powered vehicles, if they penetrate 1-2% of current use, I will be surprised. There will never be enough generation/transmission capacity to adequately power this nation because of two reasons: 1) Money talks and everything else walks; 2) NOT IN MY BACKYARD PERIOD. Today we see, community after community RAIL against a new high end RV park, if they don't want one of those, they sure as heck aint going to allow a 500 acre solar cell farm, or 400 windmills, or a 1000MW generation plant down the road. I rest my case, crap, knowing that the COVID vaccine will prevent, or at least mitigate the virus, our nation is only at 46% vaccinated currently. Give me a break. And Trust me, I love the freedom we have here, and no one is going to tell me what vehicle to buy, etc. Period.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back