Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
This should be fun....okay...I have to say, I prefer the Appalachians over the Rockies. I love the forested "mountains" colors, farm lands, greenery, etc. I think the difference is the desert landscape out west vs. the forested/greenery out east. The west has breathtaking mountains but the east I just love the forested camping experiences. I haven't done Glacier yet so that's excluded from my opinion. West Virginia (the state) is a hidden gem as well, I love the New River and finding destinations along that path.

What's your favorite and why? East or West?

Linda and I like the east more than the west. We both ride motorcycle a lot and love up state NY. Lots to do and some really intriguing history. Great roads and can't wait to drive our MH up there.

Living in/near the North Georgia and North Carolina and east Tennessee mountains for over 50 years I have to say I am partial to the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains. I have ridden my motorcycle out West and while the mountains are beautiful they are kind of bare.

I know it can be a bit barren but southern Utah with Bryce, Zion, National Monument, Arches…..all are National Parks in an area not to be missed. Throw in the Grand Canyon for good measure.

For me, it depends on the time of year. We enjoy North west, South East, and everything in between.

We post most about our Montana and Rockies trips as those are the more adventurous. Scuba diving off the keys is some of the best diving we have done (Turks & Cacios wins best)

We enjoy the Oregon coast and the Redwoods.

The smokey mountains are amazing in October, and Branson is the best place for Christmas family camping we have found.

I have not spent near enough time north of Georgia on the east coast, and have lots to explore there. Our farm is near Rochester, NY but we typically fly in and drive there, so haven't explored much with Rv.

New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah are great places to explore, hike, and get lost for fun.

About the only place I don't enjoy is Illinois. Probably due to how often I have had to go this past year.

I agree with lemondrop. Prefer the West though just because it's closer to me;)

We are east coasters, but lived awhile in NV and CA. What you can't get back east are the sweeping vistas. I remember coming over a peak in NV (traveling between Reno and Vegas) and seeing a whole train laid out in the valley. Could see for tens of miles in each direction.
We missed the variety of colors in the western leaf changes. The gold and yellow is nice, but we missed the rest of the color wheel. Alaska is a whole different animal. Neck gets sore enjoying the nature up there.

I favor the southwest. I like the wide open vistas and the rugged beauty of the deserts.

Tough, as I think each area is different with great views. We love Montana but it snows, so Florida in the winter. Enjoy the off interstate driving out west, get more nervous East with smaller roads.

Our drive to Alaska in 2019 remains the best for scenery, including the Canada. Glad the border has reopened.

Latest resources

Back