Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
By now, most of you know about the catastrophic fire that consumed Andrew & Shea's coach, taking with it, all of their contents and belongings that they had packed up as they moved Shea out of her house.

After the incident, I told Andrew that I can't let his experience go without using it for the good of others; to help bring the awareness of fire safety to the forefront. It makes me sick to see the negativity and evil in others.

So, I felt compelled to stay up 'til 2am to get this video out, because it was a way for me to help, as well as for my own good to "heal" from all the wounds that others are leaving.

Just because I retired from the profession doesn't mean I will ever stop trying to help save one life, or someone's property through education.

I welcome any discussion, comments, or questions.

Thanks.

We have two in the USCG. Our daughter was home and did a "boarding" of our RV and pointed out a couple of things. One being an expired extinguisher. "They have a recall on those".

Capt Gizmo brings up many good points. Among them are the proper handling of a fire extinguisher as well as knowing the capabilities and limitations of them.

Everyone should know PASS and practice it (if you don’t, look it up). Training is key to being able to function effectively in an emergency. In the case of Andrew’s dash fire (yes that's all it was initially) an extinguisher probably wouldn't have done much good by the time they pulled over, which was very soon after they realized they had a problem.

Vehicle fires progress rapidly, and when its your home, your domicile, and occupied by loved ones (dogs included), you need to attend to the most important things first, which often leaves activities such as suppression (as in this case) at the end of the list.

So while this is a lot or reminiscent ramblings inspired from countless fires over my career, it does lead to one key point: be prepared to deal with priorities and handle the rest as best you can. Thats why we pay for insurance. These folks did very well. They focused on their personal safery as well as that of their pets, and let the cards fall. So kudos to them and for the rest of us, myself included, a wake up call.

I didn't think I needed to watch this. I ignored it several times as I was browsing around.

I am very glad that I did watch it. @CaptainGizmo , you are a very smart man, and do a very good job making a point. I have always thought I knew what I would do. Listening to you, I now know that I didn't know JACK before hand---and have a lot of thinking / planning to do.

Thank you very much!

I didn't think I needed to watch this. I ignored it several times as I was browsing around.

I am very glad that I did watch it. @CaptainGizmo , you are a very smart man, and do a very good job making a point. I have always thought I knew what I would do. Listening to you, I now know that I didn't know JACK before hand---and have a lot of thinking / planning to do.

Thank you very much!
Wow, those are kind words, Ronnie...thank you!

Wait...what do you mean you "ignored" my video!? I thought you drop everything when I post/say something!! :LOL:

Seriously, I'm very glad you paused to watch it. Thank you again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back