• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Firmware Update for LA 4551 radio (XSG4NA) and DEF stuff

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Got it, different symptoms different solutions. I would assume that the factory guys sent you what you needed in the format you need, but not always the case. I will lurk around here and see what they come up with for you. Hope they can get you sorted, and thanks in advance for sharing the process with us all.

Well, for kicks and grins, I would unzip the file into the same directory that the .zip file is in. And then reinsert the thumb drive and try the update. It couldn't hurt.

I'm not completely convinced that the update program knows (or is even capable of) unzipping the file.

Well, for kicks and grins, I would unzip the file into the same directory that the .zip file is in. And then reinsert the thumb drive and try the update. It couldn't hurt.

I'm not completely convinced that the update program knows (or is even capable of) unzipping the file.
I asked RP but he said no, but WTHay. I’ll try it tonight. Will let y’all know.

I asked RP but he said no, but WTHay. I’ll try it tonight. Will let y’all know.
Well if the update program is supposed to read a .zip file, and it's not reading yours, then the file must be corrupt. That's about all there is.

So I have nothing to offer on the radio or Silver leaf but here’s my take on the DEF situation. Spartan has a different set of emissions sensors and the yellow triangle isnt a typical (or Cummins) emissions icon, but high DEF concentration is a common denominator in these emissions systems failures and something to take seriously.

My advice is to use the smell test: open a fresh jug of DEF with a recent date code that was purchased from a retailer that stores it inside in a climate controlled area, and smell it. Then smell the DEF in the tank. If the amonia smell in the tank is noticably stronger, dump it and change it, however you have to do that. Some tanks have drains; I had to syphon mine. Its just essentially liquid fertilizer so you can dispose of it accordingly.

As Im sure you know, DEF is converted to amonia under heat, usually under controlled conditions in your SCR, and then used to chemically convert NOX to nitrogen and water. But when it happens in your tank, even to a lesser degree, that ammonia goes to work on anything susceptible to corrosives and that includes your sensors. Also your DEF head is solid state so while banging in it may bring some relief and satisfaction, any actual changes would be coincidental.

So, thats my .02 worth. Hope it helps.

PS: you probably have a refractometer but even it it reads in the OK range, trust your nose. And while this may seem to be “shade-tree” analytics, I learned it in Chem 1A a few decades ago so it must be legit.

I still have a yellow triangle with exclamation point with message Emissions, but that's it. Any thoughts?
@ARD ... I have the same "Emissions" thing going on and it actually started when I was on a trip. I reported it to Spartan, and they helped me drill down to the actual code (SPN 103, FMI 18) which is a Cummins message about "engine turbocharger speed". They told me it was ok to keep driving as long as the situation did not get any worse which it did not. All continued to run just fine, and I am now back home about 2,000 miles later. I am taking it into my local Cummins shop this week and they think it is probably just a bad turbocharger speed senser. I will post again after they figure it out.

FLSteve :unsure:

Warning Message.jpg
Codes.jpg

I can't add anything, except to say, damn Steve, that's an awesome display!

@ARD ... I have the same "Emissions" thing going on and it actually started when I was on a trip. I reported it to Spartan, and they helped me drill down to the actual code (SPN 103, FMI 18) which is a Cummins message about "engine turbocharger speed". They told me it was ok to keep driving as long as the situation did not get any worse which it did not. All continued to run just fine, and I am now back home about 2,000 miles later. I am taking it into my local Cummins shop this week and they think it is probably just a bad turbocharger speed senser. I will post again after they figure it out.

FLSteve :unsure:

View attachment 14170View attachment 14171
Thanks tons. I'll contact Spartan tomorrow. I don't want to head to the mountains this weekend and have a problem.

Well if the update program is supposed to read a .zip file, and it's not reading yours, then the file must be corrupt. That's about all there is.
That's why we deleted it and reinstalled it. I dunno. Had too much wine with dinner so will work on it again tomorrow. 😊

Also your DEF head is solid state so while banging in it may bring some relief and satisfaction, any actual changes would be coincidental.
Hahah. I didn't even get any satisfaction from it. Lawd. I read somewhere that banging it could help if there was any crystallization, but as you noted, nothing happened. LOL.

Latest resources

Back