Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
A camper I was talking to said that when he is going to be on the road for a full day he empties a bag of ice into the toilet / black tank to clean it.
Is this a good “ hack” or is it just an urban legend?

I've heard this before, I think the theory is the ice moving around just as if it were rocks to help loosen the build up areas. The question is how long does it take before the ice melts vs. having any significant motion to make it do what one thinks it would do? What I personally do at times is put cascade in both tanks and add about 10 gals of water. Let that slosh around and then drain rinse drain again the tanks. I will use Dawn at times, and I've heard of some using pinesol.

put enough ice in and i can see that working to break up debri stuck!! I use ice in coffee carafe when I clean it.

It would take a whole lot of bags of ice to do much good. More legend than truth here IMHO. Would really be tough to do with a macerator toilet😂

There is a YouTube video of a guy doing an experiment about that. His conclusion was don’t waste your time or ice.

Ice is cheap, No harm done, very little time spent. I was told this method by an old long gone friend. I am going to get to try it out as the camper we purchased has the beginning of a poo pyramid and the sensors don't work. Will report success or failure.

There is a YouTube video of a guy doing an experiment about that. His conclusion was don’t waste your time or ice.
2X.... I wouldn't waste time trying it even if I could (we have macerating toilets). Save the ice for cocktails! Between moves use water and dishwashing soap or Dawn instead.

As stated before, macerator toilet would just make a poop slushy. There is a mineral called Struvite that builds up in both black and gray tanks. Watched a Youtube video of a guy that pressure washes the insides to clean the sensors. Sooooooooo, I had an idea using a rhino blaster adaptor. Drilled a half inch hole and fed a 3/8 fuel line with a garden hose adaptor on the outside and a multi directional spray tip (I made mine) and fed it up in there letting it flop around and rinse for about 10 min. and tanks read correctly now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back