Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
In an earlier post I said I wanted to change out our king bed and go to a queen. The factory king was just stuffed in the slide out with no room on the sides. There was a cheap metal frame under it and no storage.
Well I made a box frame and mounted the head of it to the slide out, then put wheels at the bottom of the foot of it. Hinged the top to access the storage and also hinged the head of it to raise the bed for watching tv.
The last pic shows the old frame and bed. I’ll keep it as an option whenever I decide to sell.

Attachments

• 7C2C6115-F194-439B-A553-99E6025C1EF1.jpeg
    7C2C6115-F194-439B-A553-99E6025C1EF1.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2E3AC468-BE49-4E41-9DE0-60FDB3E41AE5.jpeg
    2E3AC468-BE49-4E41-9DE0-60FDB3E41AE5.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20100D2A-36A7-46D2-86AD-53290A08F899.jpeg
    20100D2A-36A7-46D2-86AD-53290A08F899.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 19
  • A90C88FB-72EB-478E-9CA1-B3744A12157A.jpeg
    A90C88FB-72EB-478E-9CA1-B3744A12157A.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 20
Much better and nice work! I find the queen in out coach perfectly adequate and I also like to have some room to walk around the bed, access the closet, etc.Now you might be able to build in some little night stands. Ours are small but better than not having anything there and we use them every night. You could also incorporate 120v and USB outlets in them if you don’t already have them in that location.

Much better and nice work! I find the queen in out coach perfectly adequate and I also like to have some room to walk around the bed, access the closet, etc.Now you might be able to build in some little night stands. Ours are small but better than not having anything there and we use them every night. You could also incorporate 120v and USB outlets in them if you don’t already have them in that location.
We have outlets on each side of the bed. You just couldn’t get to them. Now we can.

BGMAC, I did a similar mod on our Kountry Star, had a king on the factory hinged box with storage, I did some careful measurements, and screwed down a guide then using a power saw I trimmed the plywood top down each side. I kept the 2 pieces I removed and with a few steel brackets it could be a king again. Added a new Sleep Number mattress like we had at home, and found a powered base that for RV that I can lift the head of the bed. It all fits where the previous mattress fit so all is good and we can walk around the bed now.

Next project is adding an electric motor lift for the under bed storage, the adjustable frame makes it too heavy to lift for one person.

struts might work well for that - they work well on our current coach and also were good on the last two.

I added struts to the existing, and it still takes two of us to lift it (safely). I think the base I added was 80lbs itself, so not a surprise to me. I saw a thread about adding a 12volt lift mechanism to under bed storage area, and it looks pretty straight forward.

I added struts to the existing, and it still takes two of us to lift it (safely). I think the base I added was 80lbs itself, so not a surprise to me. I saw a thread about adding a 12volt lift mechanism to under bed storage area, and it looks pretty straight forward.
The struts have to be positioned correctly and the retract pressure needs to be correct. The ones I ordered are for full queen size bed with a 3/4 door open. 120lbs.

Latest resources

Back